FeLV+ and food question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherri & Stash (GA), Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

I'm doing homework, and attempting to digest the dx and my research over the course of the weekend.

Regarding the ketones, I've upped the FF/water ratio to 1:1, and I'm adding additional water when I see the FF has "dried out."

Now I'm turning to food questions. Should I switch from FF to something that is richer and more caloric? Stash currently eats a minimum of three cans FF Classic per day. Rarely does he beg for more. I realize, however, it's important to attempt to keep weight up. He was down 2.5 lbs at the vet yesterday, and I think the weight loss has been over the course of the past two months.

So, food thoughts?

2. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Canned EVO is what I would switch to if Lucy ever needed to gain weight. She really loves the stuff too.

3. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I am not an expert by any means. I am a human diabetic.

Ketones in the urine indicate that Stash is burning fat rather than glucose. This occurs in diabetics when they do not have sufficient insulin to use the glucose. If the nadir allows it, I would think more insulin would be better than more food.

4. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Thanks Karen. The food question is really aimed at the FeLV diagnosis. I'm trying to digest the need to juggle two different issues. :YMSIGH:

5. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

twinkie (foster) is FIV+ and he eats FF. both fosters are getting the gluten free cause that is what jen started them on and what my store carries the most of

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.