FeLv, FIV & The Catnip Cottage's way forward (long)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by OLM Catnip Cottage, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

:cry: Well, we are being hit HARD here.

One of my other main foster homes, the Vice Director's, has been closed for intake for months now because she had gotten some nasty viral infection in that her cats just kept passing back and forth. We are nearing the end of that now, she is completely renovating her home to try and eradicate it - all carpeting is being torn up and replaced with hard floors. Much of the wood in her home has been torn out and her kitchen rebuilt because of mold that was descovered. New Air Conditioning unit to filter the air better. We're finally getting to the bottom of it there.

The test results today from my house - I began with my own cats, who have lived with me at least a decade, most more. Belle, 17-18 year old Hyper-T, negative both FeLv, FIV.
    Blade, 14 year old, negative both.
    Lucky Son, 13-14 year old, negative both.
    Franklin, 8-10 year old, FIV positive, FeLv negative.
    Raphael, 10 year old, FIV negative, FeLv positive.
    Ivory, 8 year old, FeLv positive, FIV positive.

The fosters are all newcomers (less than 1 month here) and are negative. They are being vaccinated and moved to my Cottageville Foster Home in the Critter Cabin, until adopted.

The 3 ferals, I cannot grab and test. They are going into isolation in the garage together until I can trap them in a humane trap out there and have them tested. Those negative can rejoin the house. Those positive, I have to make a very hard decision on. FIV I will leave alone and put into the FIV isolation room. If FeLV positive, they will have to be euthanized before they awaken because they will NEVER EVER allow me to treat them in any way to help alleviate pain or improve their quality of life, or even to offer them palliative care at the end. They will suffer, and there will be no way I can stop their suffering, particulary at the end. I think particularly of Thomasina, who has lived with me 9 years now and still won't come closer than 6 feet of me. Praying all are negative and can simply rejoin the household.

So, I have a FIV isolation room with Franklin, an FeLv isolation are at the opposite side of the hall in my bedroom with Goose, Raphael and Ivory. An unknown feral isolation are in the garage until tested. And the main parts of the house has all negative, vaccinated but less adoptable sanctuary cats. New A/C unit with filtration being quoted for installation within the next month for the house. I am taking out a loan with the electric company for that.

All adoptable cats are being moved out to Cottageville until adoption.

And my home, the heartbeat of Our Lady of Mercy's Catnip Cottage for these past 8 years, has closed its doors to incoming cats - at least for about 2-6 years, during which time nature and the diseases will change the situation. I will remain the director, and will do just that - direct, market, work things. I will work to help network and provide education and support, to try and help people keep their cats, or network to find safe places to place them. I will only be able to take in those newcomers that I have foster homes for - they cannot come into my home. I will have to work through my spoke foster homes, which I only have 3 that can possibly take in foster cats right now. If God wants us to take in more, He will have to send us more foster homes. I will direct and manage those.

Our future, I leave where it started, in God's hands.

This is a very difficult and dark time for us. But God is with us through it all. "Yay, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff comfort me."

But I'm going to be getting wine and chocolate tonight.

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Maureen))))) I am so heartbroken for you.

3. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

Gosh ((Maureen)), I am so sorry that you and the kitties are going thru this. Sending prayers.

4. OLM Catnip Cottage

You are there to take up the torch, Venita. The FDMB Cats in Need affiliate of the Catnip Cottage is our way forward. Our mission and 501(c)-3 may be going more that direction. Perhaps that is why God brought our organizations together now, to show me the way through.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Maureen I'm so sorry...:(

6. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((Maureen)) I know you are doing what is right even though it may weigh heavy on you. The kitties you have now all know your love. Hugs during this difficult time.

7. feathersby

feathersby Member

Maureen,
    I am nearly in tears reading this. I'll join you in the wine and chocolate tonight. I wish I were closer and could foster for you, but I have my house full and a not so great situation with Juniper's aggression right now.

I may not be able to do much else, but I can and will pray.

8. Suzanne + Nemo (GA)

Suzanne + Nemo (GA) Member

Oh, Maureen, I'm so sorry this is happening to you. The power of this board is great, so we will find a way to hold you up and help you in any way possible.

9. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

OMG! ((((((((((((((((MAUREEN)))))))))))))))))) It seems so unreal..really. Sending many many cyber hugs of support.

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. cat_pet_icon

11. Laura and Oreo

Laura and Oreo Member

((((Maureen)))) I am so sorry about all that's going on in your household. My prayers are with you. God will provide.

12. Wendy & Tiger

Wendy & Tiger Member

(((((Maureen))))

I am so sorry! I am heartbroken for, and with, you.

Sending many hugs and prayers...

13. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Maureen, I know this has to be immensely traumatic for you and your head is probably spinning . . . but why do you need to euthanize now if the ferals test FeLV positive? I've known FeLV cats who haved been carriers for years but never became symptomatic. It may be the exception, but ferals can be tough cookies and maybe yours might be some of the lucky ones. Perhaps they could live with you until they become clinically ill and, if you can't treat, you could euthanize at that time?

Are you doing any further testing on your cats that tested FeLV or FIV positive? Or are you just sticking with the results of the snap test? (I assume that's what you used). I'd be interested in the results if you do further testing.

Best wishes.

14. OLM Catnip Cottage

Regarding the ferals, my plan has changed. 2 of them are already letting me touch them, so euthanasia of them is not necessary. Whatever their status, I will work through it with them.

Thomasina, the sole remaining feral, I will evaluate when the results come in. I don't want to euthanize a healthy cat, even a feral

Try to understand this is a lot for us to work through, deal with and digest. We are working it, though, and trying to do the best for the cats primaily. The rest will reveal itself in God's time.

I have my isolation areas set up. The screen porch, Andy's Sanctuary, is now a playhouse for the LUek positive ones. They have their room, and the screen porch to play in and interact with us.

Franklin is in isolation in my bedroom, but visits me and the rest of his friends when food is up and I can observe him, each night.

We are testing the others. Mindy was positive, Samantha negative.

15. cjaubz

cjaubz Member

Oh Maureen - how heartbreaking. I pray that the lord will guide and comfort you through this tough situation. He will always provide and I will continue to keep your rescue work in my prayers.
    Hugs,
    CJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.