Figured out the problem with Whistle

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jimsy, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimsy

jimsy New Member

And it's not CRF! My regular vet called today and said she got final results in. Whistle has pancreatic insufficiency, or maldigestion. She hasn't been properly processing or absorbing nutrients from her food. I am very happy to find this out, as we can give her an enzyme supplement and weekly B-12 injections, and she will likely improve. The vet thinks Whistle's diabetes will begin to improve as well and that she will be regulated again soon.

This couldn't have come at a better time. After taking Whistle to the internist and having more tests run, the vet was worried about her liver. If the tests on her liver had come back abnormal, they would want to do a biopsy. I want to do the best that I can for Whistle, but unfortunately the best that I can do is being constrained by the fact that I live off of a graduate student stipend. After the emergency vet visits and all the other visits and tests of the past couple of weeks, I was worried that if she needed the biopsy I would have to decline it. Now I don't have to make that decision, as her liver looks good and we know the real problem. Kidney values were good too, by the way! I'm glad Whistle's regular vet had the sense to second guess the emergency vet, or I would be needlessly treating Whistle for something she doesn't have while letting a major problem go untreated.

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Wonderful! An answer and a fix.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

This is good news indeed. Well you know what I mean.....

4. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

I'm happy to hear you have solved the mystery.

best of luck with the treatment.

5. jimsy

jimsy New Member

I do! When the vet called, she was so excited, and then stopped and said, "Oh, I'm not excited that your cat has two diseases, but I'm glad we found out what was going on and it's something easily treatable." I felt the same way. I'm glad it's nothing with the word "failure" attached to the end of it.

6. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations on getting a dx or 2 :) Will your vet let you do the B12 injections at home? That should save you some money. Tucker always feels better after a B12 injection, it really works wonders so I hope you have the same results.

7. jimsy

jimsy New Member

Jennifer,

The vet did say she wanted me to do the B-12 injections at home. She said they would be no more difficult than insulin injections and giving sub-qs, and since they're more infrequent they're even less trouble. I'm going in today to get info about them. Are they under the skin, just like insulin?

It's funny, I was diagnosed as B-12 anemic last summer, so Whistle and I are now in the same boat.

8. tuckers mom

B12 is simple, I use the same needles as the insulin. Just be sure it's B12 and not Bcomplex. I've been told that Bcomplex can sting. B12 doesn't bother Tucker one bit so I don't think it stings. It's red in color if that helps.

If you have a B12 deficiency shouldn't you be getting injections too? You and Whistle can really be in the same boat then :mrgreen:

I haven't taken it but when my father in law was sick he always felt good after his injection.

9. jimsy

jimsy New Member

I'm able to get my B-12 through a supplement, thankfully, unless I'm super stressed, and then I do have to go to the Dr. for injections.

I'm glad the B-12 is easy. My vet has ordered the first batch for me, but of course I'll want to take a look at it and compare prices for later purchases. I feel like I saw some other links on here to websites where I could purchase the correct B12 (cobalamin, right?).

10. tuckers mom

I've ordered twice through b12-shot.com

http://www.b12-shot.com/

We're both in CT so I assume your cost would be the same. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was under $20. Shipping was okay, the boxes were a little dented but the product seems fine, Tucker's BGs always come down after his shot and my vet would charge me at least $20 per visit so this is much cheaper for me. She didn't want to give me a script or sell me a vial so I had to look elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.