Final report in on Jasmine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra & CB (GA) & Gang, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

It says:

Source/History: Body
    Volume: 3.0 ml
    Appearance: Straw, slightly hazy
    Protein: 2.8 g/dl
    RBC: <100,000 cells/uL
    Nucleated Cell Count: 100 cells/uL

Cytologic description: The sample has a very low cellularity and therefore the concentrated, cytocentrifuged sample is described. It contains primarily macrophages although occasional nondegenerate to hypersegmented neutrophils are found. Erythrocytes are found scattered in the background.

Cytologic interpretation: modified transudate with low cellularity
    Comments: The sample has a very low cellularity. The exact underlying cause uncertain. Modified transudates are typically caused by an increased hydrostatic pressure resulting in loss of a high protein, but low cellularity fluid. They can be seen with several disorders including heart disease, neoplasia, diaphragmatic hernia, chronic inflammation or torsion of an organ.

In a nutshell, we don't know what exactly is the cause of Jasmine's breathing problems. In speaking with Dr. I she feels that it is most likely cancer or severe chronic heart disease that Jasmine has kept well hid until she couldn't hide it anymore. But, if we want to find out more about which is the cause we'd have to have an ultrasound done, at the cost of $200 - $250. If it is heart disease, they would want Jasmine to be hospitalized briefly to be started on meds while having her heart monitored. Plus, that would mean a juggling act of meds, lasix, and fluids for her crf. Diaphragmatic hernia isn't likely, but if it was this they would not recommend we do the necessary surgery at her advanced age and current condition.

So, for now, we will keep a close eye on Jasmine, make sure we're stocked up in baby food, and when she fills with fluids enough to cause her distress again, we'll either tap her once more.......or let her earn her wings with grace and dignity. We'll let Jasmine decide on that herself.

Thanks for letting me ramble on, I really had hoped that there would be an easy (or easier) answer. I love my precious Jasmine so much, she's just a real love bug, and the last of her family.......but I don't want her to suffer. I've always been a person that looks at quality of life over quantity, and thankfully this new vet feels pretty much the same way about "end of life" issues. Jasmine has always been healthy up until her crf diagnosis a year ago, so I feel blessed to have had these 15 years, 9 months with her. I'll be spending as much time with Jasmine as possible, and will be awaiting her signal that she's ready to leave her frail body behind and go to a much better, happier place.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Debra, I know when Hope was started on her heart meds they only kept her for one day to monitor. Maybe do an echo and ecg because if it is her heart, the meds can really work wonders. I know if it is CHF, then it becomes a Catch 22 situation....fluids for the CRF and Lasix to pull fluid off..fine line between the two. I can never remember which side of the heart causes fluid in the chest and which one causes fluid in the abdomen. Melissa has told me several times.

May you and Jasmine be blessed with more peaceful, loving time together.....whatever you decide to do or not do. It all becomes so darn hard to know which way to go and my heart goes out to you. I know with (((Baby)))GA I called it when just purring caused her enough distress to the point she had to lay on her side and did open mouth breathing to get air. Thinking of you and Jasmine.

(((HUGS)))

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this. I know you will know what to do and when and you will do what is in her best interest.

It's heartbreaking to think about, but just think, you have been entrusted with the most precious gift - helping Jasmine and helping her decide what is best for her. I wish you peace and comfort and know that you will have the strength to give her the most precious gift of love a human could give an animal.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I never have words for these situations Debra. I just want you to know that I admire all the care you give your kitties. Scritches to Jasmine.

5. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((((DEBRA)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

this is the fine line I walked with Merlyn.. subqs, lasix and other heart meds, but he never needed taps.. he had pulmonary edema. Wrapping you in many many cyber hugs.

6. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

(((Jasmine))) (((Debra)))

7. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Debra, that fluid being straw colored bothers me. Any possibility of it be FIP?

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending blessings and prayers...

Jeanne

9. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

I don't think so. She was born here, and was just 2 or 3 days old when we found them and brought them inside. After that, she's never been outside. The only other cats she's been exposed to our my inside kitties, and they're all healthy.

Is there any other way that she could have been exposed to FIP?

10. Cheryl & Tux

Cheryl & Tux Member

(((Jasmine))) (((Debra)))

What ever you decide to do I know that you will decide it with love in your heart and based on what is best for Jasmine. It's a very difficult road and an even more difficult decision.

Sending you and Jasmine lots of prayers and comforting hugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.