Finally Joined!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Charm Redden, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charm Redden

Charm Redden New Member

Hi everyone!

I have been a member of the Facebook FDMB group but didn't realize I should also join over here. My Wilbur has been diagnosed with diabetes since April 2013. He is a 14.5 lb cat that currently receives 2.5 units of Lantus 2x a day and seems to be doing really well. I feed him FF classics 3x a day.

I have been going to a great vet for years, but she upped and retired last week so I am a tad stressed about it. I have not been home testing, mainly because I was told I didn't have to; but I am interested in starting ASAP. There is a lot of great info on this site (I have been going through articles for hours) but it can be a little overwhelming figuring out what monitor to use to test, etc. I look forward to working with you all and leaning from you!

Take care!

Charm

nora likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    In my signature link Notes to Share, there is a link to a list of Vet Interview Topics you may find helpful, as well as some Secondary Monitoring Tools.

Charm Redden likes this.
  3. Charm Redden

Charm Redden New Member

Thank you!! I just ordered my Relion Confirm glucose monitor :)

nora and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there Charm and Welcome. This is a great group of people so willing to help and answer any questions. I am so glad that you will be home testing as it is so important to keep Wilbur safe. A lot of us use human meters, a popular one is the Relion Micro or Prime both from Walmart. The Prime test strips are 1/2 the price as the Micro ones which is a great savings as it is the strips that are the expense. Also, there is the Alphatrak for animals and that is used by some peeps too however, the strips are a lot more pricey, so it is a consideration. If you notice in our signature it says our pets name SS for Spread Sheets. I will link how to create one and if you have any trouble, please ask and someone will help you.
    How to create our spreadsheet
    If you click on mine, you can see what it looks like. It looks a bit daunting at first but once you understand how to use it it is rather easy. It is a great tool to see patterns and trend in Wilbur's doses from day to day and also helps the peeps here to be able to help you with dose advice. If you need an explanation, please ask. I don't want to overwhelm you. Again Welcome and see you around the forum.

nora and Charm Redden like this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Oh, cross post with my post to you! Great!

6. Charm Redden

Charm Redden New Member

Thank you so very much! I am great fun for this and will see how it goes! I am a little nervous....

7. nora

nora Member

I'm new here too and have a meter for my own diabetes, but just bought a smaller tester and monitor. Haven't yet tested Kali, was doing weekly vet visits, but my husband hasn't been feeling well and we've been having work on the house which makes getting out difficult, so I'm going to have to start soon. You and smart and brave to jump into it and your cat will benefit from your quick action. Nora and Kali

8. Charm Redden

Charm Redden New Member

Let me know how it goes! Tomorrow I am going to attempt my first at home glucose curve and I am very nervous. We will see how it goes haha. I am hoping well!

9. Bobbie And Bubba

You will do fine! Remember, any data that you get is ahead of the game and the peeps here will be able to assist you better with dosing. :cat:

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Good luck today with the curve. If you have any questions or concerns, please ask away. Have some low carb treats to give Wilbur after each test as he will quickly associate the testing with a treat and won't mind it as much. Many of us give the freeze dried chicken as a treat (in the dehydrated state) or Bonita Flakes. You can find them cheaper at an Asian Market, or at a pet store but they are more expensive at the pet store.

Charm Redden likes this.
  11. Charm Redden

Charm Redden New Member

I just did my very first blood glucose test this morning for the AMPS :cat:-- and he is at 192 with the Relion Meter. I feel so bad because I had to prick him a couple of times to get the blood sample-- so I hope he isn't too mad at me.

nora likes this.
  12. nora

nora Member

Good job!! I'm sure he'll forgive you. You are very brave.--Nora and Kali

13. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Gads Charm!
    Do you know we suggest with holding dose for newcomers at 200? 192 is under that of course! He needs to be coming up..before you give 2.5. However, I don't know about Lantus..? Are you posting over there too?
    Anyone else??? Help please.

14. Charm Redden

Charm Redden New Member

Good Morning!

I am a newbie too when it comes to testing and dosing. I am going to post in the Lantus board now.... I think 192 is a good number from what I have been reading; but I am not sure??

Charm

15. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Morning!
    It is good for me, I use ProZinc & my no shoot # is 180's. Glad you are posting on Lantus though.
    Hopefully more eyes over there..!
    I don't know much about depot insulin. Sorry babe.

16. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sorry,I just got the tag. I see you had some people her to help you. I'm new with Lantus but not diabetes (maybe I am there is so much here I didn't know). So I really can't advise. I wish my Smokey was 192 for AMPS.

If you can do a curve. Let's see where he is at.

@Charm Redden if your doing a curve today keep entering on your spreadsheet as you get them. So we can see what's happening and help you along the way.

17. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@woodsywife not to hijack Charm's thread but Smokey is looking good today!

18. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Yes he is. In the yellows. I'm thrilled. He hungrier than normal today. Possible blue??????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.