finally seeing results, but now what?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MsKarilynn, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsKarilynn

MsKarilynn New Member

A question for all you lovely people here.

2 months ago my 12 year old cat Brody was diagnosed. For 2 months he's stayed pretty high, dipping to only a high 200 with his nadir. But now I am actually seeing results! He is on 2 units twice daily of prozinc. I just tested him now at his +12 and he was at 222! I feel like dancing because this is amazing. He is always a high 400/low 500 at his +12. I think everything is finally starting to work for him. My question is, do I continue giving him his 2 units? If he's at a 222 right now at his +12, right before I shoot, am I supposed to give him 2 units or will he go too low? This may be a really dumb question, but this whole time I've been shooting away not terribly worried because of how high he was. Now that he's getting lower, and by no means is a 222 LOW, but it's low in our world, so do I continue on with the same dose? It's obviously working!

Thanks everyone!
    Karilynn and Brody

OH I should note that for the past 4 nights he's been in the 200's when I have tested, although it was higher, this is the lowest thus far. This wasn't a fluke thing or my meter malfunctioning!

2. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

Hi, were you ever able to get a spreadsheet going? That would really be sooo helpful in figuring out what's going on with your cat. I see that your cat had a hypo back in April on the 2units and there was some concern the dose was too high. I don't know if that was addressed or if the dosing has changed since then.

Also, have you stopped by the prozinc group? These folks are experienced with your insulin, so they can give better advice than I can.

creating a spreadsheet http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16
    Prozinc group http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=24

good luck,
    laur

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you have a nadir number? Don't forget that the preshot numbers are vital, but the nadir will show you if that 2 units is taking him too low during the cycle.

And BTW, there are NO dumb questions. We all asked exactly the same things you are asking.

4. MsKarilynn

MsKarilynn New Member

Thank you both of you for your reply! I actually do not have a spreadsheet. I meant to set one up, but it seemed really confusing and due to my work schedule, I am only able to test twice a day at his +12's. I do test on the weekends and his nadir is usually around 250. I know this isn't very helpful and I apologize. I am terrible at tracking information on a computer. I do write this stuff down on a piece of paper, but I will admit I am not as proactive about this as some people are. :oops: Something I can say that I do every day is test before his insulin and give him his insulin! Also, his diet has changed dramatically and he eats low-carb food. So I AM trying! I promise!

He did have a hypo a few months ago after shooting 2 units, but I honestly think it was some glitch with my monitor because that has not happened since. In fact, I haven't seen his blood glucose go lower than 200 - ever, aside from that ONE time. What I should have done was tested right after to make sure that number wasn't bogus, but I was very new at testing and it still made me nervous. I've been giving him 2 units for quite some time now (vet ordered) and I haven't seen a number that low for his nadir when I test him on the weekends.

Some good news is, I am moving in with my mother in a month (I live alone right now) and I am going to teach her the ins and outs of cat diabetes, so she can test him and give him his insulin. Because of my work schedule, (i work second shift) I shoot at 1 pm and 1 am, so his nadir is around 9 pm - when I am at work. I am going to have my mom start testing him at 9 pm on weekdays when we live together so I can get a better idea of what is happening! So I find that very positive. I am just so happy his numbers are going down finally.

5. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You are obviously working hard to get him well. We'll be patient; people were patient with us.

Here is the info on how to do a spreadsheet: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

If there is any way you could get a nadir, it would give us great info. If he is in the 200s at nadir and 200s at shot time, that will help with the whole picture. If he was at 400 at shot time, and 200 at nadir in the past, he could be dipping down into the double digits at nadir now that he is 200 at shot time. Be sure he always has some wet lo carb out to eat - in case his nadir is dipping low. And maybe you can get a nadir this weekend. That would help so much.

7. MsKarilynn

MsKarilynn New Member

Thanks both of you! I will check out the spreadsheet creation link. It will be a pretty bare spreadsheet during the week, but that's okay. This weekend I will get a nadir both days and will post what I find here.

Thanks,
    Kari

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.