Finally told the vetsulin was discontinued by the vet...

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Pringles, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pringles

Pringles Member

The new insulin that will be used apparently will be Humulin... Any ideas on how the vet will intially start the dosaging? I don't think we had very good results with the Vetsulin - never could really get any type of regulation.... Typically have been going from 400s to 100s from morning to evening (shot morning, sometimes no shot in the evening)... Just wondering what to expect as the vet will keep her two days to start the process on the new insulin. I want to make sure he is conservative in his dosaging to start because previously with Vetsulin was giving too high of a dosage..

I appreciate any information that anyone is able to provide!

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Not what you want to hear, but Humulin,not a good insulin. If anything thought even less of than vetsulin.

Can you not persuade them to give Lantus or Levemir? Both excelent insulins with some fab results.

He will probably start either over at 1u or carry on with the dose you had on for vetsulin.
    The 2 insulins work along very similar lines in terms of action.Read the stickies at the top of the forum to remind yourself.

If you were going from 400-100,sounds potentially like too high a dose. It's a trade off with both these insulins. Higher preshot numbers to get a gentler,more acceptable and safe curve (numbers don't bottom out). That's why there not consdiered the best anymore. If your in USA/Canada, you should be able to get your vet or a new one to prescribe the Lantus/Lev. Not sure about PZI,it seems to have some popularity.

You cold always go into the Lantus isg and print off the info on the research studies-this may convince your vet to change the insulin. (Is worthey of note, both vet/and humulin I think?can only be got from vet.Lantus/Lev from any pharmacy-again with a script I think)

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.