finding correct dose of Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Marianne M, May 31, 2019.

1. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

I was told by our vet so start Mango on 2 units of vetsulin first and then go to three. He said it when by the weight of the cat. Mango is 8lbs. Sadly the vet left on vacation the next day for three weeks so we have been on our own to learn out way around diabetes. Thank goodness I found this site. I found that at 2.5 or 3 units Mango AMPS are higher. I am going to go back to the 2 units and stick with that for the next week until he gets back as because his AMPS where in the pink or yellow zone with 2 unit whereas with the higher dose it's pink or red. Like seeing those yellows! He is also eating the FF or Friskies pate and snack is freezed dried liver. I am stopping the Tiki Cat dry food as it is 11% carbohydrate as of today. What I have noticed that whatever dose he gets he is not drinking as much water, is not a hungry and seems to be out of his "funk." Back to outside hunting lizards and small field mice. I am must getting the hang of blood testing with doing the am, pm pre shot testing at 6+ and bedtime. What Mango has learned is that testing on the foot pad isn't so bad and he's is Ok with the ear or foot. Depends on his mood! I was afraid to give the insulin shot but I've gotten good with it. He won't allow me to do the rolling method (which I would prefer as I can see this skin) so slack skin is lifted either at the nape, flank or side once I feel it pierce his skin I release the plunger. So all in all two weeks in and feeling more confidence in this journey.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  2. Keryn_&_Rosie

Keryn_&_Rosie Member

It's such a learning curve isn't it! This forum is pretty amazing for support though.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

dogs are dosed by weight, not cats. the recommended starting dose is 1 unit twice a day. I have a video in my signature showing how to test your cat at home.

4. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

I am having better testing results with a lower dose. I will keep stepping it back by .5 if needed and keep testing to see what is the best dosage for Mango. Now doing 2.5 and see how that goes. If the testing doesn't start to come down into the range of 150 to 220 I will drop it another .5. Trial and error I suppose is what I am calling this adventure I am on! I've got my Karo syrup ready is needed. I wish I would have known to start with 1 unit not 2 but I just did what our vet told me to do. I live in the country and he is a vet who does large animals as well as small. I was someone who was afraid of needles and now I can't say that. Karyn you are right it is a learning curve.

5. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

JanetNJ-just watched your video--how much pressure do you use to poke the ear? I'm wondering if my husband (I'm holding the bucking cat :p) may be poking too hard? My cat becomes stressed as soon as we use the warm sock (we've unfortunately had a few experiences where we couldn't get blood so we warm first now). He begins fighting us as soon as we put that sock near his ear. So then he gets really upset when the needle hits his ear & let the fun begin with trying to get the blood on the tiny black part of that strip :(. Seeing your approach, may try to modify ours. Would LOVE if our cat was like yours. Right now theres no way its a one person job :(.

6. JanetNJ

It doesn't take much pressure. Maybe he's hitting the vein making it more painful. Aim for the sweet spot on the edge. If you have a drop but he wants to run, scoop the drop onto your nail and test from there. D3F37EBA-36C8-4FBE-9588-08F2154C798A.jpeg

7. JanetNJ

I never used a sock, just rubbed it warm. (Now she bleeds easy so unless her ear is cold I don't even have to do that.) And give a treat after for each attempt. It only took cc a week to start associating a test with a treat.

8. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

if you bite your nails as I do :nailbiting: -- you can try scooping the droplet onto a thin plastic spoon, or cosmetic spatula, or a loose fake fingernail, or ....

Catcat shies away from meter+strip coming anywhere near his ear, if I had a third hand I could hold his scruff, but ....

much easier to get the droplet off his ear, then test (immediately before it coagulates) using the scoop device to let the meter strip "sip" it up

9. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I don't have nails either!! I did just get 100 gelato white plastic tiny spatulas from Amazon to try getting it that way if I need to. We have been able to get it on the strip (except one time) but its tricky when he's trying to escape!

10. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Why in 2019 do we not have a device that pricks AND sucks up the droplet???!! The whole prick & then get the meter or spoon is one more step that makes this so much more complicated...especially if you are doing it yourself.

11. JanetNJ

Patent it

12. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I was doing some reading on PubMed. Has anyone tried the Tiniboy lancets?? They are the thinnest & shortest lancets on the market & in studies produced much less to no pain. They also seem to get blood more easily because the can get the capillaries better. I'm tempted to order & see if they make a difference.

And then I need an engineer to do something about a one & done device...LOL

13. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

There is now a lancing device that pokes AND sucks up the blood using vacuum technology. It also claims it get the capillaries & not the pain nerves that are deeper. I believe they have a money back guarantee so I am going to order one & see if its any better. Looking for anything to make this less painful, stressful etc for my boy. Here is the link: Genteel Lancing Device

https://www.mygenteel.com/#how

14. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

I watched the video of the dogs getting the genteel done and it appears to take longer than I believe my cat is going to sit and wait for me to get that blood drop. I did send them a message about if it is really Ok for cats and they said yes but no one has posted a video of a cat getting it done. On one video the dog had a shaved area on his flank and was tested there. I'm guessing the blood can be taken from anywhere. I am ready to order it as well. If you do get one please let me know how it worked out for you. I also test on the big front paw pad and I rub it first to warm it up and hit it with the lance and just squeeze until the blood droplet appears and let the meter do it thing. He prefer the foot to the ear but I do both area. Depending on his mood. It's hard to hit the very outer part of the ear with a cat that isn't quietly just sitting there. He is wanting his dinner not me getting his blood! I found that using a cosmetic makeup removal pad works best for me on the ear. I've poked myself right along with Mango holding a kleenex behind his ear. Anyway I hope that vacuum lancing device is the cat's meow! Would make it easy for my hubby to test him if I am away and not available.

15. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hi Marianne. I LOVE the name of your cat!! Beautiful man!! I will let you know if I order the Genteel. Thank you for your input about the paw pad. Good point about their "mood".