First BG test at home

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FelineFriend, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

hi, my 13 year old, 12 lb, spayed female Smokey was just diagnosed with diabetes 5 days ago. She spent three days at vets while he determined how much insulin she needed. He did not know about home testing; when first asked he told me I would have to draw blood from her jugular! Yesterday I gave her both insulin shots (3 units twice a day of caninsulin) and today I did a home BG test. At 8 hours after morning insulin the reading was 9.8 on my Freestyle lite.
    Does this seem reasonable?
    I'm working on setting up my spreadsheet.
    Thanks, Dhana.

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Great that you are home testing right away & good thing you didn't go for the jugular!

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Dhana and Smokey! :) Congratulations on getting the shots and blood testing done. It gets much easier over time. I see you're using what we call "world units" when measuring BG. What is your general location (no specifics needed)? If you multiply your number by 18 you'll be converting to the units used in the US. Most readers here are more familiar with those.

Caninsulin is a fast acting insulin that can drop blood glucose quite low. At 8 hours after the AM dose, Smoky was at 9.8. She might have been a fair bit lower than that when the insulin was at its peak effect, usually 4 to 6 hours after injecting. Three units is a very high starting dose and I'd be worried about her BG being too low at the middle of a cycle (the 12 hour interval between doses).

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Vetsulin tends to hit it's lowest point at around 4-6 hours past the shot.

We always recommend you test about a half hour before the shot, then feed, then shoot. This will give you a preshot number. If you can test mid cycle please do. It's important to know how low they are at their lowest point to know if the dose is too much or not enough.

Good job getting a reading on your first try! As I said before, 3 units is triple the usual starting dose, so be really careful.

If you have any questions please ask us.

5. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

i am from canada...vancouver. potential hypoglycemia was my concern after reading for hours! now that i know how to do ear prick test i will test before insulin injection and also at peak. working on setting up spreadsheet...
    thanks for your input, dhana

6. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

thanks Janet. my vet started at 1unit then increased by 1 each day which pretty aggressive according to this forum. i will be seeing him in a week and plan to take in my test numbers, plotted on a graph.

7. Kris & Teasel

I'm a fellow Canadian from Ottawa. As Janet and I both said, 3 units twice a day is a very high starting dose. Have you read the info on here about making up a "hypo kit" and how to deal with a hypo?
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hypo-links-be-prepared-just-in-case.48385/

8. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

You are doing great! Holler if you have any questions about the content of the spreadsheet, or need help setting it up.

Your profile pic looks like a picture of my outstretched legs as I speak, except that 4 of mine managed to sit on or prop against me ;-)

Welcome to the group!
    Sandi.

9. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  10. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

heheh, i thought that other cat lovers might recognize the pose. our 5 cats play musical laps. thanks Sandi

11. JanetNJ

It's very aggressive so I'm relieved you are comfortable with testing. Insulin needs definitely change over time. I started at 1, went briefly to 3, until eventually down to nothing.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  12. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

created and updated Smokey's spreadsheet, just did second blood test prior to feed and injection and its 15.2 or 274. now for the injection, i cant believe how patient she is being. i am totally worn out from stress and no sleep due to worrying so not sure if will be able to stay awake another 5 hours for midway test. left ear was so much more awkward because i'm right handed. i wonder if my signature will show up when i post this...

13. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Hmmmm no I don't see your signature...not sure why or what to suggest. Maybe someone else will know.

Personally, I wouldn't try to stay up. I'd just set multiple alarms 5 or so minutes apart, but of course that depends on your own sleep habits and abilities.

Sandi.

14. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Oh and also. I am also right handed. When testing the left ear I kneel (we test on the floor) next to Whispy on his right side. So my left arm drapes over his body and my left hand holds the cosmetic pad under his left ear and my right hand pokes.

Does that help at all?

15. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

Thanks Sandi, I will try that way next time.
    Cheers, Dhana.
    I checked my signature in my profile and it's blank so will create it again tomorrow.

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Dhana, Found you! :D Make sure you click on the SAVE CHANGES button under the text box after you finish typing your signature. If you missed that step, it would explain why you lost your signature.

With Caninsulin, if you get a test 1.5 or 2 hours post shot, and you have taken a test before giving insulin, you'll get a good idea of how quickly Smokey's BG is dropping and whether you need to monitor her closely or just set an alarm for a mid cycle test. Some cats will hit their lowest reading about 4 hours post shot but some reach it earlier, some later so until you figure out how Smokey is processing the insulin, it's best to get a test in early to avoid any surprises later. If she is dropping fast, you can give her a little snack to slow down the BG drop.

17. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

as we feared, Smokey's BG dropping quite a bit. Tested three hours after injection of 3 units caninsulin and it's only 4.0 or 72. i gave her some canned food plus she has dry food as desired.

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Dhana and Smokey - waving at you from over in North Vancouver. We started with Caninsulin but changed over to Lantus after a couple of months.

That 3 units dose looks like it's a bit much. You should probably test again soon to make sure she's not going too low.

19. JanetNJ

As I thought 3 units is way too much. Please tomorrow reduce it. If she's in the 200's I'd do 1 or 1.5 u. If you hadn't tested and caught that 72 she may have hypoed. Hypoglycemic can lead to seizure and death.

20. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  21. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

hi @Wendy&Neko (i had a pony by that fine name)
    couldn't get blood again last night, took 4 tries this morning. why is it getting harder not easier?
    Smokey's BG was 16.8 / 302! i gave her 2.75 units cansulin because i won't be here during the day-i'm going to hospital for myself to get my own needling i realize now i should have posted her BG before giving injection so could get input from all of you helpful folks.

22. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What size lancets are you using? It helps at the beginning to use larger 26 or 28 gauge lancets.

23. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

Elizabeth and Bertie and JanetNJ like this.
  24. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

good question, i'm using the sample ones that came with my Freestyle lite and the gauge is not marked.

25. Pati

Pati Member

Hi Smokey's servant. :)
    Are you warming the ear beforehand? There are several methods. I use a pill bottle with water that I microwave on defrost for 12 seconds. You could also fill it with warm water but I hate wasting water waiting for it to get hot. I sit Morris in my lap on a stool near the kitchen counter. I hold his ear against the pill bottle with my left hand while I scratch his other ear. Then I finish inserting the meter strip with my right hand, then pick up the lancet again with right hand and press it against his ear against the pill bottle. (Still being held with my left hand.) Some people use the lancet device and some freehand it. The device works well for me. I then pick up the meter with my right hand and hold it against the blood until it beeps. I lay it on the counter, take away the pill bottle and press the ear between my fingers for a few seconds.
    I hope your own needling goes well today. Yuk.

26. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

hi @Pati, yes i'm warming the ear. i put a small amount of couscous in an old sock then warm in microwave. i can see the vein but its hard to guess where the lancet is coming out because the tip of the device is opaque. i will keep persevering...

Pati likes this.
  27. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

A lot of us find it easier to just free-hand with the lancet rather than using the device, for exactly this reason.

Also, keep in mind that you don't actually want to hit the vein-- you definitely get enough blood that way :), but it's more painful for the cat and takes longer to heal. But it's not a problem to hit it every now and then-- we all have done it.

Beth 73 likes this.
  28. JanetNJ

Freehand it. Put a cotton pad behind to poke. You aren't aiming for the vein but the area outside of it. IMG_3612.JPG

29. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

pretty much all the lancets that come as part of a "package" are the 33 gauge tiniest ones

you'll have better luck if you go to the pharmacy and get some that are specifically marked 25-28 gauge for "Alternate site testing"

FelineFriend likes this.
  30. MrWorfMen's Mom

The lancets that come with the Freestyle Lite meter are 28 gauge for alternate test sites. Try removing the cap from the lancing device if free handing the poke doesn't work for you. The cap is meant for use on more fleshy body parts such as a finger where the area to be poked will actually sit within the hole on the cap. The cap might work on a fleshy paw pad but ears are just too flimsy.
    You can also put a very thin skim of Vaseline on the area to be poked to get the blood to bead up better instead of spreading into the fur.

Beth 73 and FelineFriend like this.
  31. Pati

Pati Member

Maybe that is why it works well for me since I am holding the ear against the pill bottle rather than something soft.

32. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

long day away from home, just tested Smokey and her BG is 17.4 / 313. should i give her the same amount of caninsulin as this AM - 2.75 units?

33. MrWorfMen's Mom

Dhana, Thinking here and will be with you in a few minutes.

FelineFriend likes this.
  34. MrWorfMen's Mom

I have to admit, I am a bit concerned about the 2.75u dose given that Smokey was only diagnosed a few days ago. I think those pre-shot tests you got this morning and tonight may be bouncing given the low 72 reading you got the last night. Smokey could have gone even lower than that which makes me think the dose may be too high.

I am sure you are absolutely exhausted after dealing with a medical appointment today. If that's the case and you want to get to bed for some rest, I'd lower the dose tonight to at least 2.5u and maybe even to 2u. If you can get another test in about +1.5 hours after the shot, you'll be able to see how quickly Smokey is dropping and determine if more testing is needed or abort the cycle if need be. If you are not able to test tonight, I'd drop the dose to 2u because our kitties have a habit of going lower at night and you don't want her going too low. I'll be up for awhile so let us know what you decide to do. :)

Elizabeth and Bertie and Beth 73 like this.
  35. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

thanks @MrWorfMen's Mom i will give her 2 units and try to stay up long enough for one more test. i now have a sub cutaneous catheter in my abdomen for next 24 hours so know how poor Smokey is feeling. i used a flashlight this time and noticed a small haemotoma probably from first time when i must have hit the capillary ☹

36. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh that catheter doesn't sound fun at all! :bighug: You do need to get your rest so good choice with the 2u. If you test Smokey at about +1.5 it should give you a good idea if she is having an active or quiet cycle. I'll check back in before I hit the sack in case you have any questions/concerns. She should be fine with the 2u.

The flashlight does help to see exactly where the vein/capillaries in the ear are. Holding pressure on the poke spot for a few moments after each test will prevent any more bruising. If the ear seems sore at all, you could get some Polysporin (Neosporin) ointment (not cream) with pain relief and dab a bit of that on it for her. Otherwise, just avoid that spot for a few days and she should be fine. Testing gets easier as she will grow more capillaries as you test more and therefore getting a good bead of blood will get easier.

FelineFriend and Beth 73 like this.
  37. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Did you try freehand? If so, did it work better for you ? I freehand , and after a while the ear gets used to it and it will become a lot easier. Everything seems so stressful and overwhelming in the beginning but believe me it will get better and you won't be as stressed out. And try to remember when you go to get a BG Reading try and stay as relaxed as possible because you're a baby can pick up on your stress. ( a stressed cat will have high BG readings )

FelineFriend likes this.
  38. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

ok, PMPS of 17.4/313 then after 2 units at +2 Smokey's BG is 14.6/263
    no @Sherib i didn't try freehand, that sorta freaks me out. i did use 28 gauge lancet tho (@Chris & China).
    Goodnight and thanks for the help today!
    cheers, Smokey 'n Dhana (aka serf)

39. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok Dhana. Thanks for posting. Looks like Smokey is on a gentle slope. Will be interesting to see where she is in the morning. If you want to be sure she stays on a slow slide, give her a little snack before you turn in for the night. Sweet dreams! :)

FelineFriend likes this.
  40. sherrib

Did the 28 work better for you ? I think that once you get more comfortable you should try the freehand because it really is so much easier

41. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

I will...eventually

sherrib likes this.
  42. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

AMPS 15.6/281 i gave her 2 units last night then tested at +2 then passed out until now. i tried freehand this morning but she cried so i will stick to pen until i'm better. only two tries today but i think last one hit the vein ☹ i'm afraid i really suck at this!!!
    should i stick at 2 units this morning? i will be here today for periodic testing.
    thanks!

43. MrWorfMen's Mom

Good morning. I think I'd stick with 2u today and see what she does. The fact that her AMPS is just about the same as her +2 last night continues to suggest to me that the 2.75u was too much. If you can hold a dose for about 3 days (6 cycles) numbers permitting and get some mid cycle tests especially between +1.5 and +6, it will help determine whether she needs more or less insulin to bring her numbers down. This is a marathon not a sprint and as much as we all want the numbers down, you can't force them. The body gets used to higher BG levels and then it wrongly thinks lower numbers are a threat and pumps out glucagon to bring the numbers back up to what it has become accustomed to, so taking slow methodical steps in dosing helps to ease kitty back into recognizing that lower numbers are OK.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  44. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

45. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

I'm about to try another BG test with my old Lifestyle lite. I swapped it for the lifestyle that can test for ketones last night only to find it need 6x as much blood for sampling! That's why Smokey was crying... Went back to pharmacy today and bought the old one also so now can test both. Fortunately they are free when you buy 100 test strips
    I picked Smokey up half hour ago to test but she grabbed me so hard that I had a great blood sample myself! So I gave her a relaxing treat (with camomile) and waited half an hour. It's about +5 so may still be in nadir - I don't yet have sufficient samples to know for sure.
    Cheers, Dhana

46. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

I give up. Got two little drops with two punctures but still not enuf to wick in. I gave her some wet food as a treat and just in case she's low. Hopefully will be better tonight for PMPS. Hope everyone else has a nice day/eve/night

47. Kris & Teasel

It'll get easier. Did you warm her ear first?

48. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

Yes. I made a mini beanbag with couscous and dried camomile. My fingers are cold though so tonight will hear them also.

49. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

after a 5 hour nap and warm hands i was able to get sufficient blood for testing. Smokey's PMPS BG is 13.3/239 so unless i hear differently i will stick with 2 units tonight.

50. Kris & Teasel

Should be OK. Can you get a test in before you go to bed? The testing will get easier over time.

FelineFriend likes this.
  51. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

I am going to try

52. JanetNJ

I'm glad you took it down from the 3 To 2. Whenever you can, try to get some mid cycke numbers to see how far down she's going.

FelineFriend likes this.
  53. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sorry I wasn't online last night but I agree 2u was a good choice. It will take a few cycles to be sure any bouncing has stopped and really see what the 2u is doing for Smokey. Will check in later to see what her AMPS is like this morning.

FelineFriend likes this.
  54. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

AMPS 13.3/239 same as previous PMPS. last night +3 was 11.5/207 so planning on 2 units again.

55. MrWorfMen's Mom

Good decision. Looks like Smokey is leveling off and hopefully will come down a tad more. She may need a small dose increase but I'd give the 2u another couple of cycles and do an increase when you can get another test in sometime after your pre-shot test.

Just a curiosity.... You shot 2.75u the other day. Do your syringes have 1/2 unit markings on them or did you just eyeball it? Having the 1/2 unit markings makes it easier to make small dose adjustments of 0.25u.

56. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

I'm hoping to get a mid-cycle test today. I just eyeballed the 3/4 dose as my syringes have 1 unit markings.

57. MrWorfMen's Mom

Good to know. Something to think about..... If (positive vibes being sent) or when you need to stock up on syringes, there are two options. One is to get the U40 syringes with the 1/2 unit markings. These still require some eyeballing but it is a little easier than it is with full unit markings. The other option is to get u100 syringes and use a conversion chart. This option allows for even finer dose adjustments but you do have to be careful to use the conversion chart and double check when drawing up doses.

58. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

Thanks @JanetNJ and @MrWorfMen's Mom. i was able to test at +4 today and Smokey's BG was 6/108 which seems pretty good. should i try for a +6 also? if i need partial doses later on i will likely try to find some u40s with 1/2 unit markings. my own medical condition dictates not trying to do conversions (chronic migraine plus double vision)
    cheers, Dhana

59. MrWorfMen's Mom

Nice! Liking that 108 a lot! :D It would be a good idea to get a +6 today. All data is good data as it gives you a better picture of when Smokey usually has her lowest reading and how fast she is processing the insulin.

It's entirely up to you which syringes you want to get and what you are comfortable with but just to be clear, you don't have to do any conversions yourself. You only have to look at a chart and then draw up the insulin according to the chart. :)

FelineFriend likes this.
  60. JanetNJ

Sounds good! Never hurts to get as much data as possible.

FelineFriend likes this.
  61. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

successful BG test at +6 after 2 units it was 4.4/79 Smokey was hungry so gave her some wet food.

62. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

"yeah rite" growled Smokey, "my serf hurts me with her pathetic attempts at blood letting, but i always cuddle her afterwards because i can tell it hurts her too"

63. MrWorfMen's Mom

Nice catch and great that you fed Smokey! That 4.4 , while a great number is a bit lower than you want her going at nadir unless you can test reliably and are available to do so. I'd aim for 5.0 - 5.6 as your goal for lowest BG when intensive monitoring is not an option. Not surprised Smokey was hungry. I'd be inclined to test her again anytime now to ensure her BG has come up. I think it might be prudent to reconsider her night dose tonight given we know she went that low and it looks like her nadir is a bit later than most. It will be interesting to see what her PMPS is. I'm guessing it may be up tonight given that lower reading today but we'll see if she calls my bluff or not.

64. JanetNJ

Ok so it seams like your lowest point is either 5 or 6. Good to know. Nice number. Do you use a human or pet meter? Either way it's good. Wouldn't want it going much lower, but it's a good number.

65. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

at +8 Smokey's BG was 8.6/155

66. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

i use a human glucometer, Lifestyle lite that requires .1 micrometer of blood for testing.

67. MrWorfMen's Mom

Looks like she is on her way up now although some of that rise is likely food influence. Can you check her again at +9? It would be nice to see how long it is taking her to metabolize the insulin especially with what looks like a late nadir. Then we'll give Smokey and you a break until PMPS.:p I know all this testing is a pain and the "serf" doesn't like poking her girl but all this data is very helpful in figuring Smokey out and for making future decisions. :)

Dhana, is your meter a Freestyle Lite? I've never heard of a Lifestyle meter.

68. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

you are correct @MrWorfMen's Mom, it IS a Freestyle Lite. my brain misfiring is one reason i don't want to use syringes that require looking up conversions! i also purchased a Freestyle Precision Neo because it can test for ketones. it requires more blood though ☹
    at +9 Smokey's BG was 11.9/214

69. MrWorfMen's Mom

Dhana, rule number one around here is that you must do what you are comfortable with because you know Smokey better than anyone else and you know your limitations. I'm not sure I'd want to use the conversion chart either because I'd be so OCD about making sure I was dosing properly. I just wanted to give you both options so you could pick for yourself. :)

Smokey's BG is definitely coming up now so we'll see where she is at PMPS. That 4.4 earlier today would suggest to me that her dose should be decreased a bit to perhaps 1.75u. That said, even if she seems higher tonight, (might be bouncing from the 4.4 earlier today) I'm inclined to think a dose of 1.5u tonight might be safer since many cats go lower at night than they do in the day. I'm assuming you don't want to be sitting up half the night testing Smokey so let's see what her PMPS is. I'll check back in about 11:30 my time (8:30 yours).

70. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

Smokey's PMPS is 14.3/257 . should i stay at 2 units?

71. MrWorfMen's Mom

Hi Dhana, sorry if I am late. I think I would back off to at least 1.75u or even 1.5u tonight. I think some of that 14.3 PMPS is a bounce and Smokey earned a reduction in dose tonight with that 4.4 reading today. Can you test up to +3 to see how fast Smokey is dropping? If so, then I think the 1.75u is probably Ok otherwise I'd drop it to 1.5u for tonight and get another test before you hit the sack. If you can test tomorrow, take her up to 1.75u tomorrow morning AMPS permitting. I'm just a little concerned about the possibility of her going lower overnight while you are sleeping so I tend to be more conservative for night cycles.

72. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

Ok, thanks @MrWorfMen's Mom I will give her 1.5 units and check at +3 like you suggested. Thanks for staying up to check in!

73. MrWorfMen's Mom

No problem. You are definitely honing in on a better dose for Smokey. Kudos for staying on top of things today, catching her lowest point and feeding her to keep her safe. You're doing a great job with her and that extra data from today will help immensely in the days to come. :) She's looking good!

FelineFriend likes this.
  74. sherrib

Thank you for post the US BG level to because I get confused. I'm just following here reading , but do like the lower BG. And it seems like you are doing so much better in testing! :bighug:

FelineFriend likes this.
  75. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

You're welcome @sherrib fortunately the spreadsheet makes it easy to do - thanks to the designer!

76. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

She didn't have much of an appetite after her PMPS test so I went with the lower dose. I will be staying up for awhile anyways to keep an eye on her.

77. sherrib

I really wish that you could get the meter I have because I just did a test my kitty and I got the most smallest mount of blood and it works. With this meter it works very fast and with the tiniest amount. It's called a prodigy test meter

78. sherrib

I actually have a brand- new meter that I have never even opened the box and I've had it for a year already. And I was thinking about sending it to you but I have no idea how you can get the test strips if you can't find the prodigy meter . Test strips to run three dollars for 50

FelineFriend likes this.
  79. MrWorfMen's Mom

The meter Dhana is using needs the smallest sample available in any glucometer and it won't read unless it has a sufficient sample. I think any problems with testing are just because Smokey's ears have not yet grown extra capillaries yet. As one tests, the ears will give up their gold a little easier. And just like humans, some cats bleed better than others.

FelineFriend and sherrib like this.
  80. sherrib

oops! I was wrong about the test strip price, I just checked my receipt and discovered that I actually was not charged for them. I do you know they only run around $10-$12 at the pharmacy that I use but if I were to buy the exact same test strips at CVS they run around $35 .
    So if CVS sells the strips, they should sell the meter to.

Just a few mins ago, skittles shook his head before I can get the test strip up to his ear so I just scraped the test strip against his fur and still got enough to test. I'm just thinking that this will be easier for you until you start free handing

By the way I am using my microphone instead of typing because among other health issues my tennis elbow is really bothering me so moving my fingers makes it worse but using the microphone really messes up my post sometimes because it will insert weird word or change my words because I have a southern accent. Just don't want y'all to think I'm drunk LOL!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    FelineFriend likes this.
  81. sherrib

I totally believe that because now I barely have to touch skittles and he will start bleeding. I can't even use the sweet spot anymore because too much blood comes out. I did just test his brother who I never test and it took little longer for him to bleed Compared to skittles but it was still only a teeny amount.

FelineFriend likes this.
  82. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

That is very generous @sherrib but its me not the meter. The one I have uses only .1 micro litres Thanks very much anyways!

sherrib likes this.
  83. sherrib

You are welcome, I don't know how to convert Canada to the US so when you post the US numbers it just made it a lot easier for me. I got somebody here to make my SS and right now I cannot remember who it is so I can give them credit for it

84. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

Yes that's so true. I tried donating blood once and three people came, filled their pouches with blood, and left while my pouch was less than half full! It also seems to help when I make sure my hands are warm.

sherrib likes this.
  85. sherrib

Slow blood must run in the family LOL! But like Linda said the more testing the more the ears " grow"easier to test. Pretty soon you are going to be giving advice to a newbie and making them feel so much better

FelineFriend likes this.
  86. Chris & China (GA)

just multiply the "world" numbers by 18 to get the US numbers

I use my calculator program a lot!!

FelineFriend likes this.
  87. sherrib

So for example 14.4 x18 = US number ?

88. Chris & China (GA)

Yes!!

sherrib likes this.
  89. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

at +2 after 1.5 units Smokey's BG was 11.1/200

sherrib likes this.
  90. JanetNJ

250-300 I'd do 2 units. 225-250 I'd do 1.75.
    200-225 1.5

Get +4 or 5 readings to make sure it's not too low that cycle.

91. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

sorry @JanetNJ i not sure i understand - are the ranges you're referring to the pre shot values? i am going to find u40 syringes with ½u markings so i can be more confident in my .25 increments.
    i also had the horrifying realization that all of my pre shot numbers may be skewed! i did not remove bowls of dry kibble 2 hours prior. ☹ yesterday however i was with Smokey and i'm pretty sure she did not eat any food.
    anyhow, today's AMPS was 12.5/225 so i guess i should stay with the 1.5u?

92. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes the numbers Janet is referring to are pre-shots. And yes, you should remove food for at least 2 hours prior to doing the pre-shot tests. So given that we don't know for absolute sure if Smokey's pre-shot numbers have been food influenced, I'd stick with the 1.5u today and we'll see where that takes her. Gotta run but will be back this afternoon. If you can, get tests at +3 and +6 to see what she is doing. If she is dropping fast by +3 you can give her a little snack (tsp or 2 of wet food) to slow down her drop and of course you can always test her again to keep watch and post here if you need any advice. :)

FelineFriend likes this.
  93. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

well this is so not making sense... after 1.5u this morning, at +3 Smokey had dropped to 4.1/74 but yesterday morning it took about 6 hours to get to nadir. part of the problem is although i'm feeding her Wellness canned food, the others are still free feeding Call of the Wild dry. i know, i know, that's way too high carbohydrate but it's all i have now until i can arrange to get Young Again shipped. i'm fortunate that i live near the border so will be able to get YA even tho i live in Canada. i'm not fortunate in that i'm still not able to get my car up my driveway so i can't easily get into town to get some Wellness core dry food interim 'til the weekend when hubby is home with the 4x4. and i'm even more fortunate that i'm able to stay home with my cats...tho that's because i'm in constant extreme pain and can't work... my plan eventually is to feed wet low carb and crystal friendly 2x / day and let them free feed on YA.

JanetNJ likes this.
  94. Kris & Teasel

Yes, you'll see more stable numbers once there high carb food is out of the picture. Re crystals: one thing that can help is to add warm water to every wet food meal to increase urine volume/bladder flushing.

95. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

thanks @Kris & Teasel i always have added warm water to wet food which is usually given as a treat - to warm it from fridge, to slow down two of my vacuum cleaners, and to increase water intake because one male kitty has had crystal problems in the past.
    at +5 Smokey's BG had started to rise, 6/108. i think i will sty with 1.5 u tonight and i will be sure to remove all bowls of food 2hrs prior to preshot test. thanks for everyone's input

96. JanetNJ

Yes, preshot numbers.

FelineFriend likes this.
  97. MrWorfMen's Mom

Here we are at the conundrum of dealing with feline diabetes. My view of this is that yesterday Smokey was still in a bounce in the morning and then it "broke" which is exactly what we wanted to happen. Today she followed a more expected course with Caninsulin in that she reached a low at +3 instead of at +6. Nadirs (lowest reading) can move a bit but with Caninsulin, they are more often around +3 or +4 than at +6. If I were you, I would think about dropping her to 1.25u tonight just to be safe. It's obvious the dose the vet had her on was way too high and she now has other ideas but things are definitely moving in the right direction. :D

Food wise do you mean Taste of the Wild. If so it's about 22% carbs which while too high is not the worst you can get. I was feeding that to my girl for a time while I tried to find something with less carbs available in Canada that she would eat. You are definitely lucky to be near the border and able to get Young Again (she says as her green eyes get greener ;)). When you do get the Young Again, it's likely you are going to see Smokey's need for insulin drop considerably so I'd make the switch slowly over a few days to a week and monitor Smokey closely.

FelineFriend likes this.
  98. JanetNJ

Oh! Good that you can drive over the boarder to get it. Contraband cat food. Lol. I found once the food spike equation was removed when I started ya food, the numbers were even easier to predict.

FelineFriend likes this.
  99. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

thanks, i do not understand the physiology of bounces, but is it expected that at +9 Smokey would be up to 15.6/281? she was sleeping just before i tested but so was i so not sure if she ate some TASTE of the Wild recently. do you still think i should drop the insulin tonight? i was not planning to, especially since i have not yet found 40U syringes with the 1/2u markings.
    tonight i removed all of the food dishes, of course now everyone is letting me know they were "just about" to eat so why did i take it away?! i figure it's about time i got them back for all the times i am "just about" to get out (or in) of my chair and one or more cats magically appear

100. FelineFriend

FelineFriend Member

Smokey's PMPS with NO food prior is 17.1/308

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.