? First bg testing today, any tips?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HK987, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HK987

HK987 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm wanting to do our first home blood sugar check. I've been reading through the info packet to learn how to operate the glucometer, and all, but aside from following the provided instructions for setup, and obtaining a first sample, are there any tips or tricks I should know about? I have a Relion Confirm glucometer and test strips. It has a lancing device and lancets included. Thanks! - HK.

2. Pati

Pati Member

Be brave? :)
    The cool thing is you will figure out a routine that works for you and Sensei. I started with a cat that had been brought into animal control for euthanasia by a Good Samaritan. My vet said we needed to home test so apprehension aside we learned how to do it. Morris now purrs while he is being tested.

I personally put him in my lap in the kitchen next to the counter. My strip is inserted into the meter but not pushed all the way in yet. I do use a lancet device. Others will tell you it is easier to freehand. I use a water filled pill bottle heated on defrost 12 seconds. Others will say use a rice sock. When Morris hears the cabinet and the microwave he comes into the kitchen. I pick him up and rub his right ear with my right hand while my left hand holds his ear against the pill bottle. I stop rubbing his right ear just long enough to insert the strip the rest of the way into the meter. While the meter is "powering up" I am back to rubbing/scratching his ear the way he likes. My left hand is still holding his left ear still on the pill bottle. I stop rubbing his right ear, pick up the lancet devise, and push the button on his left ear (still against the pill bottle. I don't let go of his left ear or he will shake his head. I lay down the lancet and pick up the meter. Turn the strip on its edge against the blood drop and wait for the beep. (If the blood didn't bead up enough I "milk" the ear to get more blood.) As soon as the strip has enough blood it beeps. At that point I take away the pill bottle and "squeeze" his ear between my left thumb and finger (prevents bruising) and go back to scratching/rubbing his right ear and face. I have been working on him letting me touch around his eyes and under his chin so I am briefly rubbing there and right back to his ear while we wait for the second beep. At the second beep he knows he gets down off my lap and either gets his meal or small pieces of raw beef heart (his treat). Only one other thing, if getting fed, I have the bowl ready but on a different counter as he becomes impatient if he can see the bowl.

While it may feel uncomfortable at first for both of you (as new things tend to be for most of us) keep thinking about what routine will work for you and Sensei. You'll modify the routine as you go along until it is fine tuned.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Kris & Teasel and HK987 like this.
  3. Pati

Pati Member

I just re-read your post. The ReliOn lancets may be the wrong gauge. You want 26 or 28 gauge. You will be able to get a bead of blood better. I have read here on the forum they are at Walmart and for "alternate site testing.

Congratulations on starting to test. You'll like it when you get used to it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    HK987 likes this.
  4. HK987

HK987 New Member

Hi Pati!
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I appreciate it. I just noticed that the sample lancets which came with the glucometer are 30 gauge. They seem so tiny but if they are incorrect for the job, then I'll look at getting 26-28 gauge lancets. I think Hubby and I are going to tackle the first few testing sessions together, so that we can both get the feel for doing it, should one of us have to while the other is at work. I've noticed on the forum here that other parents have mentioned applying some vaseline to the ear, and warming the spot prior to testing. All of these tips I will keep in mind. I'm so grateful for all the info I've found here. Has helped immensely. Thanks again!

Pati likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good luck! Pati gave you a great description. It's similar to mine but I free hand and use a rice sock to heat Teasel's ear.

HK987 likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The reason for the 28 gauge lancets is that 30's are often too thin to easily get a drop from the ear. (Better for people's fingers. )

HK987 likes this.
  7. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

- The Poly/neosporin with pain relief can be used instead of vaseline... they both help the blood bead but the added pain relief and healing properties of the poly is useful. I put poly on before the poke, while I'm warming up the ear so that the pain relief can kick in a bit.
    - Warm ears give WAY more blood.
    - I use a cotton ball behind the ear for poking.. when I started I used a little flashlight with a cotton ball on the end so II could see where to poke better. Then I rip the cotton ball in 2 and squeeze the ear when all done.
    - Giving a treat (or food) after every poke will condition your cat to like getting tested. I give Purebites freeze-dried chicken and give it after I'm done with the cotton ball cause she hates that part most.
    - The Microlet multi-coloured lancets are a bit thicker gauge if you need it, it doesn't say so on the box but they're good.
    You'll figure our what works best for you and your cat fairly quickly, and then it will become much easier :)

Kris & Teasel and HK987 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.