First cat with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by panda28, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panda28

panda28 Member

Hi there, I'm Jacqui from Australia.

My around 7 year-old cat Dave just got diagnosed with diabetes last week, which I was semi-expecting, but was still a big shock. I've never had a diabetic cat before, and so the last few days has basically been a rollercoaster of emotion and new information and things. Dave's a very easygoing cat and a massive sweetheart, which has made things like testing pretty easy, but I'm feeling like our vet hasn't really explained why we're doing what we're doing, so hopefully you guys will have some advice and experience to share. It's nice to meet you all!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! Testing is important so you can see if the dose you are giving is too much, too little, or just right. Going too low mid cycle can be deadly so you are keeping Dave safe by testing.

What insulin?
    Are you using a human or pet meter?

If you have any questions we are here for you. It's an active forum with many knowledgeable people.

3. panda28

panda28 Member

Hi! We're using glargine insulin, and testing at 7am, 4pm and 7pm with a human meter (AccuChek). He gets the insulin at 7am and 7pm. He also weighs about 14lbs, and is on Royal Canin Diabetic wet food. Hope that's everything, and I've just posted to Feline Health. The community seems really nice here, and I feel a lot better knowing I can talk to people who really know what they're talking about.

Yong & Maury GA and JanetNJ like this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

So good to hear you are testing. So people stop asking the same questions, please set up a signature like the one you see below most of our messages. To do that click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info like date diagnosed, insulin type, meter type, food you're feeding and any other health concerns.

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

We are nice! Noah is our second diabetic cat so I can say this is the most informative site on the planet. Lots of information, no condescending remarks and really good advice. I also use an AccuChek meter. I have cousins in Perth, the world is a small place.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Dave and Jacqui!
    Another Australian member joined a few days ago as well. So glad to hear you are already home testing and got your SS set up! There is a very active Lantus (Glargine) community here. The first thing that concerns me is your starting dose for Dave. Looks like it was 3U? That's a VERY high starting dose and noticed you've had to jump around with changing doses and skipping. Lantus works best with consistency in dosage amount and timing. Please start a thread on the Lantus forum so the experienced members can guide you better :bighug:
    Ask any questions you might have! Majority of these members live and breathe feline diabetes 24/7 :cat:

7. panda28

panda28 Member

Hi to both of you! This site has been an absolute blessing for me and Dave! People here have already really helped me out, and stopped me from repeatedly massively overdosing him. Once I do a week of consistent dosing at 1.25 u, it looks like my next stop has to be the Lantus board to sort out what to do next. My whole family's been reading the stickies, and all of us now feel like we can actually help Dave instead of making things worse! This is such a lovely community!

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I've said it before. You have exactly the right mind set to do really well looking after Dave. :smuggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.