First Day with No Shot

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by jbfrank, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbfrank

jbfrank New Member

Buddy's been on Prozinc a little over a week and a half now, and his glucose levels have been improving since.

This morning his preshot BS was 101 and I had a long debate with myself as to whether he should get a small dose or no shot. This was the toughest call that I've had to make so far, and I went as far as drawing the syringe before I ditched the shot.

It wasn't so much because I was afraid of the hypoglycemia aspect, because it would have been a small dose and I keep a pretty good eye on him during the day. But I probably based the no shot decision more on the idea that it would be beneficial to see how Bud reacts. I'm looking at this as another step in the journey.

Blair & Freya and Stressedcatmom like this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good call. There's always the stall without food and retest method but he might not have been high enough even then. When in doubt, don't. Looking really good. :)

Blair & Freya, jbfrank and Djamila like this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Very nice numbers! I would have done exactly the same as you.

jbfrank, Djamila and Stressedcatmom like this.
  4. jbfrank

jbfrank New Member

Thanks guys! Things just got more interesting. I just took a reading at +3 1/2 hrs after meal time, and it's down to 92. But even with the level of accuracy of these glucometers, I'm still a little surprised (pleasantly). Looking forward to getting tonight's reading.

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Normal for a cat on a human meter is 50-120, so in my opinion, a cat in the normal range doesn't need any added insulin. Buddy's numbers are looking great!!! Fingers crossed he'll just be diet controlled soon!

jbfrank likes this.
  6. jbfrank

jbfrank New Member

Thanks! My fingers are crossed too, and I'm trying to teach Buddy how to cross his toes. We got another good NS number tonight so this has been a good and unexpected day.

7. Djamila

24 hours without insulin!!! That's fantastic! Keep it up, Buddy!

8. jbfrank

jbfrank New Member

Buddy's been doing well and it's been a little over two weeks with no insulin. At this point I'll probably do a spot check every other day unless a symptom pops up.

On a sad note, Buddy's long term companion (6+ years outside and the 3 years that they have been living indoors) Alby died yesterday from acute kidney failure. Alby was still a very feral cat, but I think that she appreciated that I respected her boundaries and gave her plenty of space. Alby grew comfortable and appeared happy living indoors, and she will be missed.

Blair & Freya likes this.
  9. Blair & Freya

Blair & Freya Member

Sorry to hear that about Alby. :( It sounds like you gave her what she needed, though. And Buddy seems like he's doing great.

10. Djamila

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Alby! How is Buddy doing? How are you doing? Hugs to you both! You are clearly such an amazing cat parent and you gave Alby (and all of your furry companions) a safe and loving home where each one is accepted for their own unique personalities.

It does make the celebration a little bittersweet, but congratulations to you and Buddy for getting OTJ (off the juice)! It's always so encouraging to see kitties reach that diet-controlled status. I do hope you'll keep chiming in, and giving us updates on how you all are doing! It's been great to have you as part of our community here!

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about Alby! We know how hard that is. :bighug:

12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to learn that you lost one of your kitties. Sounds like she had a good life with you.

13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Glad to hear about Buddy doing well and definitely check him every other day like you have been, he might stress about losing his friend. I am very sorry for yours and Buddy's loss cat_wings>o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.