First green just now - 90 on AT2 - adjust dose?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Karen&Rocket, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Quick post so I can keep checking on Rocket - his PM+6 was 179, followed by a 90 just now at PM+9. Using AlphaTrak. He was in the black every time I tried testing yesterday. I've been wavering between 5 and 5.5, just because it seems like every time we raise his dose, his numbers go up, not down.

I realize the acro causes mayhem in being able to regulate, but does it seem like he's he's on the right dose? Or even close? He's on Prozinc now, but we're switching to Lev this week, and I hate the idea of switching when he's bouncing like this. Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts, and I'll keep a close eye on him right now.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Nice numbers :D

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Karen, the acro forum is not overly active for everyday stuff....more about specific acro or other high dose stuff than dosing for the most part. WHen you have dosing questions, I'd stick to the ProZinc or LL forums going forward.
    For what it's worth at this late hour, I think I'd stick with the same dose for the moment. Rocket is being a little monkey!

JeffJ and Karen&Rocket like this.
  4. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Isn’t he though?? Thanks for the tip- he went back up shortly anyway. Hoping for some blues again soon! :)

JanetNJ and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  5. Sharon14

Have you given your first lev shot yet?

6. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Yep, about an hour and a half ago. *fingers crossed* Thanks for asking :) Been writing his numbers on post-its, since I need to fiddle a bit with his spreadsheet a little later today.

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Sharon14

Do you plan to do a daily condo in the L forum? It might be a good idea at least at first.

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  8. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

I plan to, but with my surgery coming up next week, I might wait until I'm home from the hospital, since we're doing a "safe" dose for a while until then.

Sharon14 likes this.
  9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good luck and hope the surgery goes well

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How's it been going on Lev so far? I don't see any SS updates the last couple of days. Some kitties can have a strong reaction to the insulin change, so it's a good idea to keep testing, and make sure this is a safe dose for him.

Been meaning to pass on some more spreadsheets for you to look at. From the second sticky note down is a link to the acrotracker, which has some acros and their spreadsheets, as well as a lot of other data in it. Unfortunately it seems to be rather out of date now, it used to be more up to date.

Best of luck next week for your surgery. :bighug::bighug:

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  11. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Hi! Thanks for checking up on us :) It's been a busy couple of days; we had a consultation yesterday with a veterinary cancer group who does SRT here in CA, so been busy with that and just some other life things getting ready for next week. I've been meaning to post about that, as I know there are a couple of people who would like to know how that went, but I don't know if it's appropriate to post cost estimates, or is that better done in a private message?

I have still been testing; I changed to a human meter (Relion Prime) which I'm not used to yet - I've been jotting numbers down on post-it notes so I'll put them in today when I get a moment to sit at the computer. What I've noticed so far is that his numbers are still high (low to mid 300s on the Relion), but, overall I think his numbers are flatter, and most importantly, he seems happier. Yay? So from here on out, now that it's been a couple days, I need to test more often so I can really find his nadir, and adjust his dose accordingly. Still planning on doing SLGS until I'm out of the hospital at least.

I'll check out the spreadsheets in the sticky too, even if a little out of date I'm sure they'll be useful. :bighug::):bighug:

JeffJ likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

It can take 5-7 days to build the initial depot and see what the dose can do, High and flat pink could also just mean too low a dose, though safe for now. He is probably more used to pink and not getting higher red and black, which will make him feel better, until he gets used to lower numbers.

I would post the cost estimates here, for benefit of those lurking too.

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  13. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Ok, so I'll just be patient for now, as far as getting results with the Lev. Today has been a little busy, and I have a pre-op appt. tomorrow morning, but I'll get my SS updated as soon as I can, and create a new thread with some info on the two SRT options we looked at. Quickly I'll just say here that the prices have definitely gone up, and that there isn't that much of a difference in price between CSU (quoted tentative estimate of $7500-$8500) and here in Orange County CA ($9800-ish, but with no travel expenses, etc.). CSU has the advantage in my book though, not only for price, but in that they have a whole team -- internal medicine as well as radiation oncologists - that works with your cat through the process. Either way they're both expensive, but I think... and I'm afraid to "say" it out loud... we can't really afford it, but I think we're going to do it. I just wish I didn't have to wait until after my surgery. Especially if we choose Colorado, because I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to travel, even if it's just a road trip. One day at a time.

I just want to say, too... I just watched your tribute video. Oh man, my heart. The tears came pretty quickly. What an absolutely beautiful cat Neko was. You're keeping her spirit alive by doing what you do here. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JeffJ and Wendy&Neko like this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

One of the reason I chose CSU was their experience in acromegaly, plus they had a team of so many other specialties around if you needed it. Side note, while I was there they saved a dog from a rattler bite. I was impressed. CSU prices are similar now to what they were in 2015. It’ll be fine if you have to wait a month or two and probably cooler. Just don’t wait until winter.

Neko was gorgeous and a wonderful purrsonality. It made all I did for her so worthwhile. To see her go back to “Neko normal” after SRT was worth it. That girl taught me a lot.

JeffJ and Karen&Rocket like this.
  15. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

CSU gets my vote too. We didn't exploit the other options there, because they were not needed. I think if Leo didn't get SRT, at the time he did, he would have degraded very badly. His insulin demand was skyrocketing, with really bad neuropathy. My point is that timing is important.

You could also go the cabergoline route, a lot more affordable than SRT. And it could be successful with Rocket.

While I was at CSU, I remember them taking a dog into the treatment area. The back legs were both kind of dragging, the dog could not raise it's feet. I was in the waiting room most of the day. The dog came out later. They had crafted special semi-rigid braces to keep the back feet pointed forward. The dog was walking mostly normally. And if a dog can look happier, I swear that medium sized dog looked happy and excited. Everyone in the large waiting area was smiling too!:)