First home test unsuccessful

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mari, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mari

Mari New Member

My 8 year old cat, Zazu, was diagnosed with diabetes 3 weeks ago. All is going well. Our vet has agreed that we test him at home. This didn't go so well. I can't seem to get enough blood and the more I struggle the more anxious he gets. Did some research on the net and will try again tonight.

2. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Hello, welcome aboard :)

Some tips for new testers:
    Its really important that you don't get stressed while you're trying to test or Zazu will get stressed too. If you start getting stressed, stop, give him (?) his low carb treat, give yourself some chocolate and try again later.
    You will need to rub or warm the ears first to get the blood flowing there. I just have to rub the edges of Vyktors ears for about 20 secs but many people use a microwaved rice sock or a film canister filled with hot ( not too hot) water or a hot wash cloth in a plastic bag.
    Often people start of with a lancet that is too thin. To start with you won't want anything thinner than a 28 gauge (the higher the number the thinner the lancet).

Big gold star for you for getting started on the testing, before you know it you'll both be able to do it in your sleep ;)

And when you do get blood there's a great spreadsheet in the tech forum that you're going to want to use to record the results - you vet will be able to view them too :)

Petey'smom likes this.
  3. Mari

Mari New Member

Thanks for the info. Will definitely try the warming of the ear.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Mari and extra-sweet Zazu, and welcome to FDMB.

Well done for wanting to hometest. That will make it much easier to manage Zazu's diabetes.
    Very few people get a successful test the first time they try it. So don't let that worry you. It's like anything new, it can sometimes take a little practice to get the hang of it. But it will soon become routine.

As Vyktor's Mum says above, cats can easily pick up on our stress, so maybe try a few deep, calming breaths before the next test attempt (and yes, chocolate is good too....;))

Here is the link to the FDMB page of homestesting info, tips and tricks, and example videos:
    Hometesting Links and Tips

The most useful tips I learned were:
    1. Most important: Make sure the ear is warm. Warm ears bleed so much more easily than cold ones.
    2. Put a little pressure against the underside of the ear, opposite to where you're pricking, otherwise the lancet can push the ear away rather than prick it. Some folks use a bit of cotton wool or folded tissue, but I just use a finger tip (and have occasionally taken some blood from myself that way....)
    3. Massaging immediately below the ear prick can 'milk' out more blood.
    4. Two ear pricks close together can often produce enough blood for a test where one ear prick might not.
    5. A teensy weensy smear of vaseline on the outer edge of the ear can help the blood to 'bead up' and stop it disappearing into the fur.
    6. It's important to reward the kitty for each test (or attempted test) with a cuddle or a treat. (And in fact I crumble a few treats for my cat and then test him quickly while he's munching on those.)

Please know that this should not hurt your kitty at all. There are very few nerves in the outer edge of the ear. But it is a new experience for him, and for you.

If your kitty doesn't like having his ears touched then you can acclimatize him to this by holding or massaging his ear for a few seconds and then giving him a treat. I did this with my own cat. When I was learning to test I'd pop my cat up onto my desk, massage his ear, and give him a treat. Then I'd set up the testing kit, click the lancet device next to his ear, and give him a treat. Then, when I came to do a test 'for real' he was fine with that. And now he comes running when I rattle the test strip vial, and I can test him while he's dozing in his basket. :cool:

You and Zazu will find a way that works for you. Just be patient with yourself and you will be fine. :bighug:

Eliz

Petey'smom likes this.
  5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Massaging the ear towards the tip also helps. You want to massage it before you test and if you do not get a large enough drop, you can also massage it some more. That helps to get the blood flowing towards the tip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.