First home test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chris P., Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris P.

Chris P. New Member

tried My first home testing and looking for tips.i Tried several times on the ear over and hour and half, and he is super fidgety and keeps trying to fold his ears or move. Also he is black. I tried with cuddles and with treats hoping he would let me get sample but no go

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Chris
    Well done learning to home test. It is the best thing you can do to keep your kitty safe.

It can be frustrating the first few days of testing the blood glucose levels as both you and kitty get used to the new routine.
    Have you tried holding a torch behind the ear to see all the blood vessels?
    Try and aim for between the big vein running along the edge of the ear and the edge of the ear.
    With a black cat, try a bit of Vaseline dabbed onto the area so that the blood will pool and you will see it..

Always offer a treat even when you get no blood.

I used to let Sheba eat the treat as I tested, that way she was distracted.
    I used to kneel and sit back on my heels, then put Sheba between by legs/knees so that she was facing the same way as I was. If she tried to back away she couldn't and if she moved forward, I could hold her without her feeling I was restraining her.
    I had everything set up ready.
    Have you timed how long you have until the meter times out.? I found I had plenty of time to push the strip in and then prick the ear for the blood without rushing.

Are you warming the ear first with a rice sock?
    Have you tried 'milking' the ear before you start to get the blood into the area.?
    You can also milk it up towards the prick after pricking it.

Here is the link to some helpful hints
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

3. Chris P.

Chris P. New Member

I have tried rubbing earsbbut he doesn’t like his ears touched. Tried while he was cuddling and half asleep too and rubbed his ears for a second then he squirmed and ran away. Tried distracting with treats and he still hates ears touched. I will keep trying. Gave it a rest for tonight gave him treats and lots of cuddles but tomorrow:)

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  4. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

66 and you did a great job at your first attempts!

I would give him kisses on his forehead and ears.

I understand it can't be easy when he is all black too.

Take a nice rest now both of you. That was awesome attempts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.