First insulin curve at home- need help

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Mel and Oreo, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mel and Oreo

Mel and Oreo Member

Hi I am new to all of this. Today I did oreo's first at home glucose curve. Please give me advice. I called the vet and she is calling back at 4pm because she is in surgery. My kitty in on caninsulin 1.5 units twice daily

5am before food- 24.1
    6am- 20.5
    7am- 14.2
    8am- 10.2
    9am- 10
    10am- 12
    11am- 13.9
    1pm- 23.5
    I am testing again at 3pm and 5 pm, maybe that is a fluke reading at 1pm, but I am hoping the vet will tell me to go to 2 units per dose.
    Thanks for any info!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Translated this to add US equivalent numbers since most of us are in the US (take your reading and multiply by 18) and put the numbers into our + hour format.
    AMPS 5am before food- 24.1 433.8 1.5U
    +1 6am- 20.5 369
    +2 7am- 14.2 255.6
    +3 8am- 10.2 183.6
    +4 9am- 10 180
    +5 10am- 12 216
    +6 11am- 13.9 250.2
    +8 1pm- 23.5 423

Ok, so the lowest number or nadir, was between +3 and +5. Quick drop by +2, up high again by +8. It all makes sense since you are using Caninsulin with it's quicker onset and shorter duration.

Was the shot given around the 5 am or AMPS (AM or morning pre-shot test) time?

All these numbers are still in safe territory. Still above the renal threshold most of the time.

How long have you been using the canisnulin now?

If you could add some data to your signature, that would be very helpful. Go to the top of the screen and click on user control panel, then Profile tab, then edit signature.

I see you are posting over in Feline Health also, where it is much more active. It would be better if you kept posting over there for the time being as the ISG for Caninsulin gets very little traffic.

3. Mel and Oreo

Mel and Oreo Member

Hi,
    I gave the insulin at 5:25 am.
    He has been on caninsulin since Dec 21, 2013.
    The vet had us start off at 1 unit twice daily and Oreo has been on 1.5 units twice daily for 6 days.
    I asked about the levemir and lantus, but she said they had better results at first and that we could change later.
    My husband and I work odd hours so it is hard to get exactly 12 hours apart. I read that it is really important with those insulins.
    Thanks for your help it has been stressful poking my Oreo (his nickname is Louie) all day. He was a champ and when I asked him to stay still he tried his best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.