? First Ketone Test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

So I got a Nova Max Plus meter and just wanted to post about the result, which was 0.2, which I assume is mostly okay? How often is it suggested to test for ketones?

And is the action guide on the test strip container the same for cats as it is for humans?

0.0 - 0.6 = okay/low/trace
    0.6 - 1.5 = moderate/concerning
    1.5 - 8.0 = high/get medical (vet) help

Or is it different for cats?

Just want to be sure I understand the result range correctly/when to be concerned, etc. :cat:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That result is fine. You can't use that guide though because it's for humans. The breakdown is much broader for cats:
    • anything well under about 2.4 to 2.5 is comparable to negative on a urine strip
    • closer to 2.4 - 2.5 is like "trace"
    • between 2.4 - 2.5 up to 4 is getting to be too high and vet attention is needed
    • above 4 is a danger zone for development of DKA.
    ETA: You'd test often for ketones if Victor feels ill or if a routine test gives a concerning number. Those ketone strips are very expensive so you might want to get in between tests with the urine strips.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    H.M. Victor (GA) likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

I strongly encourage you to be braver in dosing when the PS is yellow and avoid large dose reductions if he doesn't eat as much. I also strongly encourage you to get him on an all low carb wet food diet. Worrying about ketones is wise and I'm glad you're testing for them. Ketone development can arise because of BG running too high, especially if he's dehydrated (dry food will do that), has any inflammation or infection going on, etc. Some of these things are hard to avoid and/or predict but you have control over his dosing and diet. I know you're anxious about dosing if he eats less, if PS is a little lower, etc. Try to bite the bullet and do some experimenting with full doses on slightly lower PSs or when he doesn't eat a full meal. Please consider a food change sooner than later.

I'm sorry if I sound bossy (again!) but I know you worry and fret about Victor's health. Bolder dosing and a wet food diet are what he needs to get his BG range down. Anxiety causes paralysis and makes us not want to rock the boat in any way in case all hell breaks loose. However, once you do bolder things it very often turns out that the fear is much worse than anything that might happen. You KNOW what to do if he drops low. :bighug:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  4. Sammie's Mom

Sammie's Mom New Member

Question if you don't mind me asking and jumping in here...

Mine has the following:
    5 trace
    15 small
    40 mod
    80 to 160 large

Do I get concern when it is at 5 trace or small?

Using Relion Ketone strips for humans of course.

Thanks

5. Kris & Teasel

Are those the numbers given on the package insert? If so, those are for humans and can't be used for cats. They're also in different units from the ones being discussed in this thread.

6. Sammie's Mom

Sammie's Mom New Member

Yes they are or at least on the back of the bottle. So where do I get a bottle that I can use with my cat? Amazon? Or should I be concerned if she is showing a trace?

7. Kris & Teasel

Sorry! I misunderstood. You're asking about the scale on a vial of urine ketone test strips whereas the original poster here was asking about readings on a blood ketone meter and that was what I was discussing with her.

If you're using urine ketone strips you can use the scale you listed above as is. The common approach here is to monitor if "trace" shows on a urine ketone strip and put in a call to your vet for advice. If you have a reading above trace a vet visit is recommended. Ketones can build fast and make the kitty very ill.

8. Sammie's Mom

Sammie's Mom New Member

OH I apologize I didn't realize that it was a blood ketone meter, my mistake in the beginning. I apologize.

9. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

That's okay, don't worry about it, I probably should have clarified that it was a blood ketone meter I used.

10. Kris & Teasel

No apology needed. I underlined in my post above to make it more obvious. :)

H.M. Victor (GA) likes this.
  11. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.