First shot need advice.........

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bandit, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin, you should be encouraged. Bandit's numbers look great today. A tad low at times, but nice overall.
    It's not normally this "exciting". It won't be every day.

Robin&BB likes this.
  2. Lantus maybe?
    I don't think a different insulin is the answer. This one seems to be working fine. Just the dose might need some downward adjustments.

Robin&BB likes this.
  3. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Yes, please check in with that preshot # in the morning before making a decision re: what amount to dose. Good job tonight, everyone!
    Kevin, you did really GREAT on the testing tonight - and just think: Bandit's already showing you he needs less insulin!:)

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin! You did a great job last night. I know that first night is tough, but you handled it like a pro! I knew you had plenty of help so I headed to bed because I'm always up pretty early. So I just wanted to check and see how things are going!

5. Bandit

Bandit Member

Thanks again to all the support from last night. :smuggrin:

Wife feed him when she got up because he was pestering her, but I'm going to wait right up to our scheduled AMPS, perhaps a tad longer.

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Wow Kevin, you got your feet wet in the hypo thing. Looks like you did fantastic!!

7. Bandit

Bandit Member

Well he's not hungry enough to fall for the can sound. And he won't come out from under the bed.

He's fine, he acts this way normally when he just wants to be left alone. But I can't get at him. Now he's all suspicious.

Grrr. I'll have to change his 12 hour interval if this goes on any longer.

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yeah, unfortunately you will have to change his intervals if you can't get to him. There are ways of getting back on schedule. Every cycle you can shoot 15 mins earlier as long as his numbers are rising, to get him back on schedule. Does he like tuna juice? My cats will come running when they hear me opening a can up. Just a idea.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

the 1st approach will be to reduce the dose! Two units is too much for him. And with the possible increased sensitivity, I'd drop down to 1 unit, even if he is high today.

The vet probably meant Lantus, aka glargine.
    If you are in the US, getting it from Canada, from Mark's Marine pharmacy will be roughly 1/3 of the cost.
    Have the Rx written for a 5 pack of the pens. You'll still use a syringe to withdraw the insulin, but there be less to no waste as you'll be able to use most of it before it wimps out. We store it refrigerated, so it lasts up to 6 months per pen or vial. For humans, it is NOT stored refrigerated, so only lasts 28 days.
    Another option is detemir, aka Levemir. It is another gentle insulin.
    Both Lantus and Levemir are depot insulins. This means the effects of each dose carry over a bit into the next shot cycle, resulting in smoother numbers. Its a totally different approach to dosing - NO sliding scale and fairly rigid every 12 hours injections.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  10. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Kevin - welcome to the club - It does seem overwhelming at first, but things will get better
    congratulations on doing such a great job last night

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Kevin, can you start a new thread today when you are thinking about shooting? Please get some advice first! Sometimes they are more sensitive to insulin after a low cycle and he has had two.

I agree with Carl. I think he needs less insulin before you worry about a change. He is reacting great to ProZinc, just too well.

Robin&BB likes this.
  12. Bandit

Bandit Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.