First successful subcut fluids

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Willow71, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willow71

Willow71 Member

i managed to successfully give Willow subcut fluids at home today. So happy we managed it. We are trying to treat her st home where possible as vet visits are stressing her out and are far too frequent. The vet had been great in showing us how to do fluids and has been keeping in touch even on her days off. I’m really hoping the subcut fluids and antibiotics help stabilise her while we get her BGs under control.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good job! That will make her more comfortable and hydrated.

Willow71 and Magic Johnson like this.
  3. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I’m so glad you are able to do this at home. You’ve all been through so much.. I applaud you for hanging in there & doing everything you can for Willow! Saying an extra prayer for you all! When our furbabies are sick it makes us feel sick too! God Bless

Willow71 likes this.
  4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    best of luck to both of you!
    We too had to do home care post DKA for the $ame reason.

When Ducia was on SQF I was advised not to give fluids at the same time as insulin injection, and if the SQF line goes into the scruff area then the insulin is to be injected in a different area - we do sides of her belly and flanks ever since.

Willow71 likes this.
  5. Willow71

Willow71 Member

Yes the vet told us inject in sides so as not to scar where the insulin goes in. Unfortunately today she won’t let me do subcut fluids.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  6. Tanya and Ducia

:(
    how is she in general today?

7. Willow71

Willow71 Member

She seems okay just very hungry as she always is lately especially when BGs are high. She s been a bit cranky since her last vet stay as she’s so sick of being there and being poked and prodded. I’m trying to test a lot less if I can but with changing the insulin doses I feel I have to check at least morning and night. She’s eating well today and I put a lot of water in her food.

8. Tanya and Ducia

I hate every poke I make but it is necessary for safety and dosing.
    Morning and night tests are good but not enough to make reasonable dose adjustments and to be sure she won't go Hypo. I'd take more tests in in both cycles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.