First time getting a 54 for a PS reading

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Crista & Ming, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Um... so... Ming was at 54 for his PMPS reading. My sister was testing and feeding and texted me. She fed him his usual raw food and added some chunky chicken FF.

45 minutes later, he’s at 113 and we are skipping his shot for the time being.

What might have happened?? Could he have been hypo earlier? And what are my next steps?

No one can monitor him in the AM tomorrow after his usual feeding time at 630 AM. I’ll be leaving the house at around 745 AM so I can definitely monitor him until then. And once my sister comes home from school at around 5 PM, she’ll do some tests.

But in terms of dosage, should we still give him his normal 4.8 u dose if he’s in good numbers tomorrow? Or give him a reduced dose just to be safe since no one can monitor him.

This was so weird. It’s kind of like how in the PM cycle at around +8, he’ll be higher than his AMPS shot later but I just kept thinking it was the meter’s variance.

2. Crista & Ming

Also wanted to add, my sister was home at 5 PM ish and didn’t do any tests but she said Ming’s behaviour was normal and she fed him treats.

Definitely will be doing tests whenever someone’s home and willing from now on.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I suggest you drop the dose back to 4.5 u tomorrow. That PS of 54 shows the dose is too high and has caused the duration of the shot to be longer than normal.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  4. Crista & Ming

Ok got it. So I should just completely skip tonight’s dose? Any times I should definitely test?

I also fear he might be bouncing too. I hope he doesn’t.

5. Crista & Ming

He’s now at 14.0 or 252 about 2.5 hours after his 54 reading. Anything I should do?

6. Crista & Ming

373 at + 4 of no shot. Should I let it continue rising with no dose?

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So sorry Crista! We were probably all asleep when you posted again. Did you skip the shot for the rest of the night? That's what I'd do. When you skip and later he's higher, if you shoot you have to adjust shot times for the next day which sometimes just isn't possible.

He will probably be higher than normal this morning, but still give the reduction.

Djamila likes this.
  8. Crista & Ming

No problem everyone :) I knew everyone was sleeping but thought I’d post and see if anyone was being a night owl ahha.

Thanks @Kris & Teasel for the help!

Ming was at 27.9 this morning. Not bad considering?

I’m still a bit confused. So if a dose is too much, it can both prolong its effect and also maybe cause an episode of hypo?

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  9. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes. And adding to the fun/confusion, it can also cause a kitty to stick in high numbers for awhile so it looks like they need even more insulin.

10. Crista & Ming

:banghead:

I’m back to using the u40 syringes to eyeball 4.5 u. I would like to eventually transition to u100 but don’t want to take any changes with even a 4.6 u dose if I’m not home lol.

Edit: I reread what I wrote and the logic is kinda weird/stupid lol when I think about it because I could really be also giving him anywhere from 4.4 to 4.5 u doses with eyeballing. Maybe I should just do a 4.4 u dose on the u100??

Ming was drinking water today and last night which to our family is usually a sign of sickness/discomfort for him. Fingers crossed that he’s just feeling thirsty.... but otherwise, behaviour is normal and loved treats.

11. Kris & Teasel

Yes, you can certainly give 4.4 u using the U100s. Once you get used to using them you'll be glad you switched. :)

12. Djamila

Don't worry about those reds today. It can take a couple of cycles to get over a bounce and recover from a skipped shot. I'd stick with the 4.whatever for another cycle or two.

13. Crista & Ming

Ok! Thanks :)

14. Crista & Ming

I totally need to buy another clock-alarm. I woke up at 745AM instead of 6AM and gave Ming his dose at 8AM.

I’ve heard increasing in time increments of 15 minutes is okay. How early can I shoot up to if the numbers are ok?

Good thing it’s thanksgiving weekend in Canada!!! So I have until Tuesday morning to fix this haha Happy thanksgiving from us in the north!! :)

15. Kris & Teasel

You have up to an hour's leeway with ProZinc. When Teasel was on it I didn't make any adjustments when the clocks changed in spring/fall and had no problems.

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to you from a fellow Canuck! :smuggrin:

16. Crista & Ming

Aweeeesommmeee!

Woo! Nice to meet another Canadian :)

17. Djamila

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Kris & Teasel and Crista & Ming like this.
  18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey happy Thanksgiving to you Canadians!

Kris & Teasel and Crista & Ming like this.
  19. Crista & Ming

This is what I'm thinking for tonight and please let me know if any of you object haha: I will increase Ming's dose to 4.6 u tonight and see how he does. He's not giving me any bluuuueeessss with 4.4 u.

I love my days off :) It means I can change doses safely!

Djamila likes this.
  20. Kris & Teasel

No objection here!

Djamila likes this.
  21. Crista & Ming

So I failed to monitor the first time I did a dose change but the next morning, I saw some nice things.

But Ming's been drinking more water lately which always gets me concerned. If he's feeling bad, he hangs out at the water dish and drinks. He's not doing it right now but he's drinking. :nailbiting: Any ideas why?

22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Looks like he's hanging out in higher numbers today. Not that weird after the blues yesterday. But in higher numbers, he might feel kind of icky and want more water. Right now, while he's still kind of bouncing around, he probably doesn't always feel that great (not to say that he doesn't feel BETTER...but maybe still icky sometimes) and that makes him more thirsty. I wouldn't worry too much...though they don't drink that often, my cats all do drink from the fountain on occasion. And diabetics who aren't regulated are more thirsty than cats who aren't diabetic.

23. Crista & Ming

Ah I see! That makes sense :) Yeah.. I felt like he was acting lethargic/disinterested in things all day. I don't know if I was being extra sensitive (read: paranoid and crazy) or if he was actually feeling bad. He was also loafing a little.

But now, at 830pm, he seems himself: flopping around and following me around. I don't feel comfortable unless he's stepping on my heels, ironically :joyful:

Rachel likes this.