First Time Home Testing Blood Sugar Levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

So we should be starting out on home testing tonight with Victor and I had some questions. When exactly should we test him? Before he eats? And how far before do we test (an hour, half-hour, etc)?

And please give any other tips/advice that could help make the experience easier, as I'm pretty nervous about it.

Also, does there happen to be anybody here in/near the Salt Lake City, Utah area?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

With Humulin, you want to take food up 2 hours before Pre-shot times......then test, feed, wait 20-30 minutes and shoot

So, if you want to shoot at 7/7, you'd take food up at 4:30, test at 6:30, feed and then shoot at 7

Since Humulin hits "hard and fast", you want there to be food "on board" before shooting. He will need to eat pretty much a "normal" amount...if he's not eating normally, you might not want to shoot or you might want to give less.

We usually don't suggest shooting if the PS is under 200...at least not at first

With the longer acting, gentler insulins, you can test/feed/shoot....all in a couple minutes since the insulin doesn't "kick in" for 2-3 hours

3. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

Hi there~ I hope you dont mind a little thread jacking and I can ask a related question.

I am just starting out Tiger on a 730 schedule. That will make dinner time immediately when I get home from work. I'm giving him vetsulin. Do I need to adjust his time to test much before dinner? Should I encourage my husband to try to test him alone?

I tested him at 7 and got the food out by 710 because I am actually really bad at keeping schedules especially when he is looking up at me STARVING with his pathetic little meows. Should I be more rigid?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Since you're using Vetsulin, once you test, you can feed immediately after.....you just don't want to SHOOT for 20-30 minutes so the food has time to get into the bloodstream

Tiger and the squid likes this.
  5. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

Thank you for this clarification! I will test and feed in the morning and shoot when he goes down for his post meal nap, the lazy bones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.