First use of AlphaTRAK 2

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FranklinsMom, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Hey everyone. I watched this video about how to set up my AlphaTRAK 2:

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/alphatrakmeter/resources.aspx

It says to use the control solution on a test strip first before trying it with blood from the cat.

Since I'm on a budget and these strips are pricey, would it be okay to go ahead and skip and go straight to the blood test? (I'm going to run down to the vet's office and have them show me how for the first one. The videos online are good but think I want an in person demo first.)

Thanks.

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi,

I do not know how to use Alpha Trak but you will get more people stopping by to answer if you add a question as a prefix to your post's subject line. There is a small drop down box on the left of the subject or title line - click on it to display.

3. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Okay thanks. I will do that the next time. I decided to go ahead and do the test myself. Didn't get enough blood the first time and wasted the strip with an error code. Second time got enough blood and if I did it right, he is at 413. That is down from what it was so I guess that is good. He purred the whole time until he heard the click and he wanted to eat the cotton ball I was using against his ear. Glad I did this at home where he is less stressed.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

When first starting with the AT2 meter my advice would be to do a control test, even if it means wasting a strip., just to make sure the meter is working properly. Make sure you have the meter coded to the same code as is on the test strip container. If you have watched a video on how to test you will see that the strip "sips" the blood from one of the side panels. Make sure you don't get blood on both sides. That will give you an error. When I first did the control test I wasted about 4 strips. What worked for me was putting a drop in a teaspoon and then taking the sample from there. Trying to put the drop on the strip was a practise in frustration...for me anyway.

To become more familiar with the AT2 meter you could do a "dry run". Put the strip in and watch for the code number first, then the blood and strip icon that tells you it is ready to use. I timed how long I had from when I put the strip in until the meter timed out and I got 2 minutes. You could try that..put the strip in without doing the "pokie" and see how long you have. This will give you a good idea how much time you have when doing an actual test.

5. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Might want to try just holding lancet in your hand instead, so it doesn't click. Alot of people do free hand for the same reason.

6. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Yeah, I will probably go that route at some point, perhaps even tomorrow. Just trying to get adjusted to the new routine. Thanks.

7. Bodinator

Bodinator Member

Those strips seem to also have sensors in them that can tell when you are stressing about wasting them or you're down to your last few. :)
    Well done for getting a reading! I'd like to tell you you'll never waste a strip again. My record is three.

8. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I hope not! I hope I'm over my learning curve. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.