First week and the vet already has him on 8 Units?!

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Gage's Mommy, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Gage's Mommy

Gage's Mommy Member

Hi, my 1.5 year old cat was diagnosed as a diabetic on Friday 3/22. When he went to the vet after becoming lathergic they did a full blood panel and came back with high glucose (about 400). They said it could be stress related and wanted to keep him, we agreed but in the morning it was still about 400 and they said he was diabetic. So we get a dreaded phone call Saturday that our cat is 100% diabetic and needs insulin. They start him on Vetsulin and we don't hear back until Monday (they were closed on Sunday). They said his BG was barely falling and they were quick to keep giving him more and more units (twice a day). Monday it was up to 7 units and then they get a killer reading of 600ish Monday night. Tuesday (yesterday) I finally told them I would monitor him at home as I couldn't afford the vet bill while they kept giving him more and more insulin and I could just do that at home. I found this forum over the weekend and have been reading post after post getting ready for him to come home. It has really helped and I even bought a Relion prime monitor that many of you all have. Last night I took his BS for the first time at home and it was 446 on the Relion so I give him his now 8 units of insulin. This morning I woke up and the monitor just said HI (which I found out means 600+) So I once again give him 8 units of insulin which was now 6 hours ago. I just took his sugar again and its running 302 my biggest question would be it seems the higher insulin we go the higher his numbers are going and I see many of you do not recommend going up in more insulin for days following the initial dose. Could my vet be wrong in giving him 8 units already? This just seems like a lot for a cat who has not been diagnosed for even a week yet.

Sapphire Skye likes this.
  2. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

3. Sapphire Skye

Sapphire Skye Member

Wow 8 units seems high. My Sapphire is 2 yrs old and diagnoses in January 2019. Make no sense with her age and alway at a proper weight. My vet started her at 1/2 a unit and we are up to 3 units. Numbers are not budging AT ALL i feel. Doing a glucose curve this AM to send to the vet to see if we should up to 4 units. I am wondering too if Vetsulin is working. The gold standard in lantus but so expensive.