? Fish-based food isn't recommended...but Bonito Flakes are fine?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hey all, just a casual question for some research I'm doing this month. ^-^ I know Bonito Flakes are quite popular treats for some of our sugar cats (Panic doesn't care for them, but they're stinky enough that I'm okay with her decision!) but fish-based food, especially on a regular basis isn't recommended. Why are Bonito Flakes acceptable then? Would kitties with thyroid issues not be recommended to have them either?

Just curious about the specifics!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I think people use them in very small amounts as a food topper when their cat will not eat or as a treat. (I don't.) From the info I found, bonito fish contains pretty high mercury levels. So, I would not think you would want to feed a lot of them to a cat.

Panic likes this.
  3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was wondering about! Thanks for your input ^-^

4. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

So does that mean what I feed my cats is incorrect? Fancy Feast Flaked Tuna...is that too much fish or is that okay?????

5. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Ya, where does it say fish isn’t good!?

6. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA) Well-Known Member

The feline vet practices I have worked at say feed fish based foods as a treat because of mercury levels, too. I give bonita flakes as a treat and also grind them up in a small food processor and use that to sprinkle on food, too. I also give Vital Essentials freezed-dried minnows (dog variety and much less smelly than bonita flakes, HaHaMeow) and Vital Essentials chicken hearts (I use the dog variety here too and cut them into quarters--more economical)

7. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

Dr Pierson recommends avoiding fish as fish-based cat food may contain fire-retardant chemical linked to feline hyperthyroidism, as well as mercury and it also tends to be high in phosphorus. I do feed some fish Fancy Feast Classics but in rotation with other flavors.

8. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

I don’t ever feed fish I was more curious

9. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

What if you feed it every day but in rotation with chicken? Still too much?

10. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

Unless you have a cat with kidney disease such as one with high phosphorus and already on phosphorus binders, then I'd avoid fish altogether, but mine currently are eating some fish daily but maybe 1/4 of their total food intake.

11. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Here's what Dr. Pierson says about fish:

Fish: I do not favor feeding fish-based diets for several reasons: 1) allergy potential, 2) toxins/mercury levels, 3) PBDE levels (fire retardant chemicals with thyroid-disrupting properties), 4) often high in phosphorus and magnesium, 5) significant addiction issues - the cat will not eat anything else.

Personally I would look into switching to the Fancy Feast Classics, they have two different beef and chicken variety packs and it's slightly lower in carbs anyway. Daily seems like too much.

12. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Great, thank you for the info. I will switch. I saw Fancy Feast Roasted Chicken and Roasted Turkey and those looks good (and safer) as well.

Panic likes this.
  13. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

My cats eat an all fish diet from Weruva (Mideast Feast) and they beg for this food all the time. In a way it's nice to see them want to eat, eat hardy, and enjoy it. They rarely throw up and are very healthy at 15 and 16 years old. Weruva is high quality food so all the fish they get is of human grade. I don't know what the long term consequences may be but they're doing very well right now. Most if not all Fancy Feast Pate flavors have fish in them so it might as well be good quality fish.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  14. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You'll want to watch out for potential thyroid issues in the future. Human grade or not cats don't have the same diet as people. :) My little man loves his dry food but I know now it's not good for him so I make him eat the wet stuff.

15. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Now I'm curious also. Took me months to find a brand & flavor that my civie would eat. He only will eat Friskies. And.. only 3 flavors. Chicken with liver pate, beef with liver pate and tuna with egg flaked. He only gets the tuna flavor 2x a week. I guess it's back to the drawing board to find a replacement flavor. Pickiest cat I ever had.

16. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

This is really interested. After reading this and some other things I found online, I immediately switched out the fish, which was his diet staple daily. Now I am wondering if I can add some back in daily. I don't really know. Seems safer to stick to chicken or turkey and he loves to eat (anything) so I don't think it really truly matters to him but I am wondering about it. Hmm...

17. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

If you have a cat that won't eat, seafood is a good enticement. Like any diet human or animal a variety is always good. It's important for diabetics to eat so if they want seafood give it to them and once regulated maybe introduce other flavors to quell your seafood concerns.

Panic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.