Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allison and Bubbles

allison and Bubbles Member

Hello friends...has anyone had a kitty diagnosed with FIV?...I want to adopt this cat who has this virus...he is 8yrs old...he has IBS according to staff....diarrhea....this worries me as I think perhaps his system is immune deficient already ...he is adorable....been a feral cat his whole life but the staff have been so awesome that he seems to be very receptive to even having his belly rubbed!!...
    I am scared to adopt him...but I really want to....not sure of what the vet bills are going to be...thoughts anyone ?I would so appreciate anyone's thoughts on this...he has been confined to a small room for seven months...no window...no stimulation whatsoever...it is not fair to Bruce...( his name)...I have two indoor pigeons and worried about diseases being spread to kitty through the air from my pigeons poop...

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  2. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Hi, Allison.
    One of my cats was fiv, tested neg early in life and tested + later in life. Idk when in that period she was exposed to fiv (likely during her younger indoor-outdoor years) but she was asymptomsyic for many years and went ahead a couple months after her 20th birthday. She also was ckd but I have had cats with ibd, too. Main thing is immune support.

The folks in the FIV Therapy support group and the volumes of very comprehensive and solid science-based information in the FIV Therapy website about the disease and treatment possibilities were godsends for me when Azalea was diagnosed.

Here’s the link to the fiv therapy website (the main page includes link to join the support group).

http://www.fivtherapy.com/

I hope you do adopt this 8-yo fellow. I’ve always found that our cats find us and that there’s always a meant-to-be-reason for them to be in our lives and us in theirs. ❤️

3. allison and Bubbles

Thank you very much! That was very encouraging ...I do not know who else will ever be willing to take this lovely kitty in...it is a challenge for sure...but I just love him...there is a danger in loving cats that are immunocompromized...and he is still quite feral...here there are no groups available to take him in and if they did he would live a solitary life in a cage as he does not play well with others....thank you for your support!!

Becky & Baby Girl GA and HWright like this.
  4. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    Once he settles in and knows he has a real home, he’ll mellow. Clearly feels as though you’re both meant for each other. :) Time and patience and love.❤️:bighug:

5. Mags920

Mags920 Member

I took in a stray 7 years ago & she has tested positive 2x & I have never had a problem with her health related to the disease. I've convinced myself that is a false positive which happens if they have been vaccinated & you don't know it. Olivher was 8 in Jan & I do not regret taking her in as she loves me & is very sweet with me. Take a chance, could he be a false positive?

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago I adopted an 8-year old FIV positive cat. Mia. I was fostering her since December. She is a tripod and hisses when one of my cats (and dogs) comes near.

7. allison and Bubbles

God bless you for adopting an immunocompromized kitty and for being willing to care for kitty's needs....truly special you are...

HWright and Becky & Baby Girl GA like this.
  8. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Well, we all know you will do all you can for this special kitty! You are a caretaker! Me too. If it feels like it’s destined - just do it! It is difficult to care for any animal with a disability- but we love them & they bring us such joy!

HWright and allison and Bubbles like this.
  9. allison and Bubbles

Thanks Becky...out of all the folks I have met here...you are the sweetest....and your comments are sincere and I thank you for being you and being so kind...your comments stick out in my mind well after I have read them...yur awesome girl....keep on being you ok?

10. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Aww you’re so nice to say this! I could weep with joy! I just know that any animal you would take in would be the luckiest fur baby alive! Keep me posted on any new kitty you get!

HWright and allison and Bubbles like this.
  11. allison and Bubbles

Becky ...I have combed the internet of the entire province of British Columbia...and two weeks ago I saw my perfect kitty....I was going to travel 12 hrs to Cranbrook from Vancouver to meet him to see if we would be a match...his profile sounded adorable (his photos were absolutely adorable aswell)....get this...here we have a program called "drives for lives" run by the SPCA and he was brought nearly to my DOORSTEP !...to my city from Cranbrook (SPCA drives pets to different shelters if they are not getting adopted)....and he was driven HERE!!

His name is TJ...I want to adopt him...and my adoption request was approved yesterday ...

Oh boy...if I do not adopt him today...he goes back up for adoption and I know he will find a home very quickly...

So here inlies my dilemma...yesterday I went to see my FIV cat (Bruce) and he showed so much affection towards me it blew my mind away ...for real...he is so lonely after seven months being alone and confined to a small room that he would not leave my lap !!...I tried to leave and he pawed my foot looking right up into my eyes as in "dont leave me here! take me home!"...he won my heart...but then ....he suddenly became very sullen when I went to pet him to say goodbye that he bit me and really surprisingly lashed out at me with both paws...and scratched me a bit...this left me wondering??...He was feral for many yrs....and I am really wanting to adopt him still...but what if this scratching behavior doesnt go away? I will end up with infections and on antibiotics....I have had cat scratch fever...

I do not know what to do...I am so hoping you are awake and can give me a little feedback...

Hugs and head butts...Allison

12. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Oh dear! I have to be honest & say I’m a sucker for the needy! I would honestly take Bruce since he just needs loving & knows you aren’t leaving! And.. if you’re pretty sure that TJ will be adopted out soon!
    Then you will not worry about him.
    My parents got me a Siamese cat when I was 10 yrs old. Sheba attacked & bit everyone & everything... but my mom. We thought mom was mean but just a couple flips to Sheba’s nose (ouch!) and she never tried to bite mom again! Mom was the only one able to be close & Sheba loved her! I don’t condone hurting any animal- I doubt I could do this... (well maybe lol) but I do think that they can learn not to hurt. I would just walk away... cat whisperer?
    I’d take on the challenge & pray. Maybe he sensed you were leaving & reacted this way... they are smarter than we give them credit for! Just my feelings from afar... your decision. Also every scratch needs to be purged (make it bleed by squeezing) while washing thoroughly with dial or any antibacterial soap! Recommended from my son, the doctor! Big hugs & love!

allison and Bubbles likes this.
  13. allison and Bubbles

Becky...I LUV U!!!I am so glad you answered...for some reason I just feel kinship with you in a kitty kinda way....thank you for your thoughts!

I think I will take the adorable needy kitty...and what a challenge and a sweet pleasure it will all be....your so insightful ...thank you dear!!

14. Becky & Baby Girl GA

great! Sending positive vibes to you & Bruce! You’re welcome anytime. :bighug::cat:

15. allison and Bubbles

Can I ask how young you are...you are a delightful presence online...you don't have to answer...but I have wondered...bc you are special...

16. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Honey I’m soon to be 62 but feel young at heart! My kids & my grand babies drag me places to keep me going! I’m a homebody! I see you are a sweet 49, just a pup! Have a great day- we’re having (finally) cooler weather here & going to a new park playscape for kids. Nature center with lots of mud! What have I agreed to this time!! Happy Saturday to you angel! I can’t wait to see some picks when you get him!

17. allison and Bubbles

you are not just young at heart ..you are young...many of my housemates i have lived with are 65 and 70....my mom is 82 ...we are a as toung as we feel right? was on graveyard shift tonight so going to sleep now...yes I will send you pics when I adopt Bruce....!!have a wonderful day !!

Love from Allison

18. allison and Bubbles

sry my spelling was a bit off..my glasses went to sleep already before me!

19. allison and Bubbles

Hi Becky...I ended up deciding I just could not take Bruce...I have spilled alot of tears over it...I have two birds and was told by vet tech that spores from bird poop would harm an FIV cat...I was willing to rehome my birds as I am just fostering them but honestly it would have taken a big effort and a long time to find them suitable homes and I honestly felt so lonely without a furbaby beside me at night that I couldn't handle the depression of being so alone much longer...

So I went ahead and adopted a gigantic beautiful orange boy who has not left my side since zi brought him home three days ago...poor guy was dumped by his owner at spca after six yrs and seperated from his litter mate all at once...he really needed a home and I adore him already...I am still going to keep track of Bruce and try to find him a home somehow...
    I also thought being that I have just lost two babies to illness in just a few months after intense 24/7 nursing both of them...that I couldnt easily handle doing it all over again...it really has knocked the wind out of me...almost as though have lost my marbles...I cant seem to think clearly ..I feel all kinds of very strange emotions that hit me like a tidal wave at times...

I am thrilled to have TJ with me as it is a huge comfort to not be completely alone...and I hope I can make him happy too...

Hugs to you, Allison

20. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new baby Allison! Lucky TJ!!! We need pictures ASAP!

21. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I’m glad you have TJ! I agree the nursing of another one after the loss of 2 needy ones would be tough! You have been through a lot of heartbreak! Sooo -TJ is blessed & you have kitty love once again! Yeah for you... yes pictures if you can. Congratulations!

22. allison and Bubbles

Thank you Sharon!!It is nice that someone shares in my excitement as I do not live with any "cat ppl" in this giant rooming house where I live ...and its me alone in this room with TJ and hes awesome company...he has started to talk to me too...I cannot recall how to send pictures on here though I wish I could bc he is absolutely HUGE...not just big but fat too!...I will try to post a photo...this is a match made in heaven...
    I saw him online ten hrs drive away from me and out of all cats within 1000 kms at all the spca's I was going to drive to meet HIM...and then he was transferred to my city a week later!!! I immediately went to visit him as I was online daily searching for a kitty and saw he was here and someone else had just adopted him...I was really upset so i left my number asking them to call if they changed their mind and two days later I got a call! Seems like it was meant to beHe does have something wrong with his back leg...hes booked for xray on Friday...I havent given up on adopting the kitty with FIV...I can get TJ vaccinated for FIV...

23. allison and Bubbles

Becky...thank you for those comforting words as it was a very difficult decision not to take Bruce in...I think too much loss can be damaging...I have lost five kitties in three yrs...

24. Becky & Baby Girl GA

:bighug:Oh I didn’t know that many! It’s very hard on us! Best to stick to a healthy one. I didn’t realize bird poo was bad for a hiv cat! Now I know! I feed birds & Baby stalks them, I worry if she could pick up a disease from them?. You’re lucky to have a little shadow now & hopefully the leg isn’t a big deal! Sending blessings & thank you for adopting him! It does seem it was meant to be!

25. allison and Bubbles

hi Becky...you need not worry about bird droppings in a healthy cat....it is only if their immunocompromized ....

26. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Ok good, thank you for that! I worry about everything when it comes to my Baby!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.