? flaky skin, drinking, and thin still

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Oreo's human, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oreo's human

Oreo's human Member

We are doing much better with regulating our sugar but O is still pretty thin, his skin is dry, and he is drinking a lot. Well actually not drinking but he loves for us to make his wet cat food soupy. He will chow down like it is a new can with a little water. My question is how long does it take to start to see some of these classic diabetic symptoms fade generally? I am pretty sure his sugar was really high while he was boarded and he has been home about 2 weeks but his sugar has really only been somewhat regulated 3 days or so. I just wanted to have some general idea of when I should expect to see improvement or take a trip to the vet. Oreo is FIV+ so I really watch for stuff. Thanks!

2. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about making his food soupy - I still do that with canned food as all the cats here prefer it like that! And it does mean that he's getting the fluid intake he needs even if he doesn't drink a lot of water.

It can take a while for cats to gain weight back. Rosa is back to within 1/2 lb of when she was diagnosed now, but it did take the whole time she was on insulin to get her weight back to where it should be (so about 2 1/2 to 3 months from when she was fairly well regulated). I'm not sure she's going to put that last 1/2 lb back on (I think the kibble had contributed to that little bit of extra weight) but she's definitely at a good weight for her size now even though at somewhere between 9 and 10 lb, she's not a huge cat. I'm not so sure on the dry skin issue as it's something that both of my 2 have been prone to for a number of years, though I think it has improved a bit (again since they've been on canned food instead of kibble).

Oreo's human likes this.
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Its a process, not an event, so basically it takes as long as it takes. He's on a really low dose with decent numbers. In fact, you're almost at the point of chasing the numbers until they are high enough to shoot safely.
    Feeding frequent small meals may help him eat more without feeling stuffed. It may require a touch more insulin, but that's worth it to get his weight up and stable.
    Fish or Krill oil have essential fatty acids in them which may help with the dry skin. Start low with a few drops to make sure it is tolerated and doesn't cause problems. Or discuss with your vet, who may have some options for you, too.

4. Oreo's human

Oreo's human Member

@BJM I did get some fish oil as you suggested. He seemed to like it at first but it annoyed him the next time. He is a cat after all. I also have started giving him smaller meals. It was really more his choice. He likes to graze. He also really likes for me to come in every now and then, give him a snuggle and rewet his food. He had taken to hanging in our bathroom last year when we got a new puppy. He sleeps in the closet. We now feed him in there so he thinks it is he room. I feel a little like he is imprisoned but he seems to like it. He has even started using the litter box in there and he has always turned his nose up at a litter box.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

To gradually shape his behavior and encourage him out of the closet, move the food dish an inch per week. Painter's tape may be used to mark the spot.
    Also, as Jackson Galaxay saysa, "catify" a room and install shelves leading up a wall to a higher perching place out of reach of the dog.
    Spend at least 20 minutes twice a day playing with, or at least interacting with the cat. It helps improve your bond.
    How is the obedience training going with your youjng dog? Will he stay on command? Sit? Come? And most importantly, Leave it? Check our Victoria Stilwell's positively.com for a great dog forum and links to her work.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  6. Oreo's human

Oreo's human Member

@BJM Well the closet is only his sleeping spot. He has always slept in our closet some. His food is on the sink and he wanders freely. Only when we are home do we shut the door to keep the dog out. Beverly is a extremely large, hard headed PUPPY! She is doing much better with her commands but she tries to play with the cats. I have finally gotten her to leave Oreo alone but she does think he needs a BIG kiss now and then which he accepts with disgust. (Our other cat who is younger however gets the worst of it and often starts it which makes it harder to stop the playing.) Oreo gets undivided attention. He has always be our bathroom cat. He can get away from Bev and he has a pet door that the dogs can't use to go in and out at will. We have had a hard year or so. O's buddy was our lab that died last summer suddenly the two were very close with Oreo being the alpha of the group. I think that might be the thing that annoys him most, he is two old to teach Bev that he is boss though everyone else in the house gets it. Oreo's biological sister died two weeks before our dog, we got bev, then O got sick and now a new baby is on its way. His little world has been flipped a bit. On top of it all we had only moved the year before. Things are settling but we have all had a great deal of stress.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Definitely stress with all that change. Active play with any of them may help with that and may wear out the puppy a bit (its hard to wear out a puppy!) so he doesn't bug the cats too much.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  8. Oreo's human

Oreo's human Member

Yes play and age seem to be the key to bev. She is getting better every day. Right now she and Oreo are napping on the deck together with the Beagle. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.