? Flea/tick prevention recommendations?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

My vet, after finding a tick on my little girl, wanted me to get a flea/tick prevention for her since she is currently only on flea medication. She wants to put her on Revolution Plus, but if I understand correctly this is a topical medication as opposed to oral. Panic has a severe flea allergy and I have tried topical flea treatments with no success, and only after putting her on Comfortis (oral flea pill) has her symptoms gone away completely. I find that topical medications "wash off" after a few days.

I really don't want to switch her, or at least not switch to a topical flea medication. Does anyone have recommendations for either oral flea/tick prevention or just separate tick prevention that won't interfere with Comfortis?

2. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

Revolution is considerably different from the topical flea/tick treatments commonly seen in stores -- it won't wash off, it's absorbed into the skin and thence to blood; also treats ear mites if there are any == it's prescription only == but talk to your vet about using the two medications together

I had wonderful luck with Revolution, with five different cats -- but have no idea if it's compatible with diabetes management -- so have been treating Catcat only with diatomaceous earth, and only when I spot one on him -- dog has been treated for fleas, and that's usually how Catcat would pick one up, when dog's meds wore off and he got an infestation, since Catcat has been known to curl up with Blake-the-dog

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Oh I hadn't even considered if it would affect her FD O: So you haven't used Revolution on Catcat since diagnosis?

I have a five-cat and two-dog household, the only ones that get treatment are Panic because of her allergy and the indoor dog (because she kept infecting my bed every summer). I'm really afraid to switch due to how severe her allergy can get. I have to do it year-round too. I obviously don't want her getting ticks but man I'd hate to have her flair up again.

4. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

haven't really needed to use flea prevention, don't know if the somewhat unusual weather is holding down the flea population, or whether the barncats catching all the mice and rats has removed a flea vector, or if the dog on flea meds (he goes out with adult son to volleyball matches, exposed to lots more environments) has quit hosting fleas .. I haven't seen any flea dirt on Catcat since March, no black creepy-crawlies in usual areas, and with change in diet his dandruff is almost completely gone too (I might wonder if the turmeric and pepper he gets, might not be a repellent too)

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have used Bravecto once whtn Advantage/Frontline would not kill the fleas. For cats Bravecto is topical like the others (for a dog it is oral) and lasts three months. The only downside is the price, about $51 a dose. A script is required.
    https://www.1800petmeds.com/Bravecto for Cats-prod11762.html

Panic likes this.
  6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I've used Revolution (topical ) on Babu (my suggar baby) and my civies as well as my dog for a long time now without any problem on any of them , although we never had had a flea or tick problem I've always used it as a precaution since they are all long haired and we do have grass in the garden which usually means fleas, I like the fact that is topical and that it lasts 3 months

7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Where we live we're surrounded by pine trees so ticks are common in the summer months, though really I've only found ticks on the dogs, not the cats. I suppose I could try out Revolution and see if it works and just switch back otherwise.

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.