Fluffy had bad reaction to boosters. can someone help me?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maryjoandsmokie, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Eight days ago i took Fluffy to vet and he had Cortisone shot for his arthritis and he had
    his boostes. He felt so bad for three days and vet said it was the boosters. He began
    coughing, gagging, sneezing and shaking his head on the third day and i took him to vet
    and vet said he had URI and he gave him convneia injection. He was eating, but not as
    much as usual and drinking water occasionally which he never does. During these days he
    lays on the floor in a position they lay when they are sick... He looks sick.

I took him back to the vet yesterday and vet said he didn't have URI but had a reaction to
    the vaccine boosters. He said he was dehydrated "a little" and he gave him 150cc fluid.
    His bloodwork was "excellent" the serum protein was a little eleveated and vet said it was the dehydration. when i brought him home he had perked up.

This morning until noon he felt good. He was stretched out all the way and would roll
    around on floor when i came near him. The he began to feel bad again and looked like he is
    in pain or sick. He hid way in a closet for a long time. A few minutes ago he ate 2.5 oz of
    baby food chicken and gravy(gerber) The best i can tell from the test for dehydration he
    doesn't seem to be dehydrated but i can't be sure. I haven't seen him drink water today
    but when he is well he never drinks water.

I don't know what to do. He is going day after day feeling bad. His sneezing decreased
    a lot and now he is sneezing again. He is not the same. Vet gave him part of a baby asa 3 days apart.

I don't know what to do. Fluffy is sick.
    Can someone tell me what they think is going on?

2. troublelaurak

troublelaurak Member

How old is Fluffy? Cortisone shots - do you mean depomedrol - a long lasting form of pred? Why would they give him his booster shots when they did the steroid? That (in my personal opinion) makes no sense unless you asked them to do it.

It is hard to tell what is going on - I'm sorry I can't help you more. I hope Fluffy feels better soon. Laura

3. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Fluffy is almost 7 years old. Vet gave the Depo-cortisone for severe arthritis Fluffy
    has due to both hips being crushed when he was less than 7 months old. Vet suggested it
    for that.
    Thanks for your reply Laura. I don't know how long this should last or what may be going on with him. I tried so hard to help
    Fluffy and look what's happened.

4. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57265

Hi Maryjo,

Has Fluffy ever had any Cephalosporin drugs in the past? Convenia is part of that family. Could he be having an allergic reaction to the shot of Convenia? What I have read is that this drug is given mostly for skin infections and abscesses and wounds. From the above website, I cut and pasted what a vet had to say on that site about Convenia.

I know that Dr. Lisa had a thread that she talked about Convenia and from what I recall she was not too happy about the medicine. I looked that thread up and here is the link:
    viewtopic.phpf=3&t=2107&p=23386#p23386

If Fluffy just had fluids on Friday, you said they seemed to perk him up. Did he pee okay? What about his bowel movements? Is he having trouble going? With the pain he has in his rear, perhaps that could be causing him issues also?

If you can afford to, maybe he should have some x-rays done to make sure his bladder is okay, and that he is not constipated.

Poor little guy is too young to suffer so much. I sure hope you can help him to feel better.

Have you tried a heating pad under a blanket where he lies?

Please keep us posted. Hope Fluffy feels better very soon!
    Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

5. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thank you Jean.
    I'm too tired to read everything right now but i will later.

I finally got in touch with Dr. Lisa and she has helped me soo much.

Right now i am watching his kidneys.

How much pepcid AC do i give . forgot to ask Dr Lisa.

can you tell me quickly
    thanks

6. Jean and Charcoal

I used to give one quarter of a 10 mg. pill of Pepcid A/C. Rudder was a huge cat too, but that seemed to help him, twice a day.

Keep us posted, please.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

7. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Hi Mary Jo,

There is no reason to be giving him pepcid right now. The last thing we want to do is dump more drugs into him.

8. Jean and Charcoal

Hi Dr. Lisa,

Thanks for posting that. I was only giving Maryjo the dosage amount, because I thought she had asked you about giving Pepcid A/C.

I do remember though, and still have a copy of a PM from a long while back, when you wrote that too many folks tend to use too much Pepcid A/C, and think that it is something like a 'cure all' for stomach ailments, when it should not be getting used so much.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

9. troublelaurak

troublelaurak Member

MaryJo,
    I'm sorry I didn't see your PM, but I think that you should pay more attention to Dr. Pierson's advice as opposed to anything I could tell you. She's the expert here. I really hope that Fluffy will feel better. Laura

10. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thank you Laura.
    Last night i was trying to reach Dr. Lisa and was afraid i wouldn't be able to so i was trying
    to find help. Right after i sent you the PM she contacted me. At that time Fluffy
    was peeing large amounts of urine frequently and i was in a panic.
    I do really value your opinion on problems and always have as well as many other caring
    people on FDMB.
    Thank you so much.

11. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

This really is one of the best boards out there for well-informed advice.

Jean and Laura - thanks for chiming in! It is so nice that people can come here in the middle of the night for support - even if it is just emotional support in some cases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.