? Fluid intake VS Urine ouput

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tuxedo Mom, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

This is more of a general question rather than a specific question. Since my Tuxie was first diagnosed 6 months ago I have carefully monitored his fluid intake (including both moisture from food and water consumed) and his urine output. I measure his water several times a day and either free catch and measure his urine when possible and/or calculate according to the size in the litter box. It seems that he puts out as much as he takes in, but is not dehyrated.

Given that there is room for some measuring error, I was wondering what other people have as far as a comparison or intake VS output.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What comes in has to come out. Cats really do not sweat. A little is lost in exhaled air.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I also read a while back that cats can use up quite a bit of water just by grooming themselves. And it made me wonder whether cats who are unwell stop grooming in order to conserve water (previously I'd assumed they just stopped grooming because they didn't feel well.....if you see what I mean).
    None of which does anything to help answer your question, Mary Ann! Sorry... :oops:

Picu and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I sometimes wonder that in my case Tuxie seems to put out more urine than the combined food moisture and water intake and yet still not be dehydrated. Surely cats must need SOME fluid more than they excrete simply for normal cell function etc.

I was just curious if there were any others out there that track in input/output as "anally" as I do. I have daily totals for both and quite often I see more going out than going in, so I was curious about other people's record keeping. Do others find that it seems to be the same going in as coming out or ???

Only on a forum like this would I EVER put out this sort of question....and I NEVER talk about this with my non-pet friends :D

Last edited: May 19, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.