Flushing out ketones is working!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Marianne M, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

After Mango tested high 8.0 on a ketone urine strip Friday evening we headed to see a new vet yesterday. Mango was not eating as much as he had in the past and was acting ill and I was worried. He was given a fructosamine test which was 277 and his BG was 227. Vet was pleased since it's only been a month into diagnosis. Only negative on the blood test was very high for protein. He was given an antibiotic shot in case there is inflammation in the pancreas because we don't know the why of the high protein. He doesn't have any signs of pancreatitis. Mango was on 1.5U of Vetsulin. This new vet prefers a longer lasting insulin and suggested we switch to Prozinc. Our instructions on leaving was to keep him eating all he wants when he wants. He said that between food, the SQ fluid he was administered and more insulin, that should flush out the ketones. Since he had his 5am shot were told to give him 1 unit of Prozinc at 11 am and then start with 2.5 units of prozinc at his regular time as long as his BG didn't go down below 300 on the pet meter. So far his numbers have been higher on the new Prozinc than what was seen with Vetsulin. We will give it a try. We can always go back if needed. Just did a urine ketone strip and it's now at 1.5 so the flush is working! I feel more confident with our new vet. I am hoping we will soon get a handle on the BG readings into the normal range.

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

So glad to hear the ketones are reducing! It can takes cats a little while to adjust to a new insulin, so be patient with that. Right now your biggest concern is just getting rid of the ketones. The rest will come in time. :bighug:

3. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

Thank you Djamilia for the words of encouragement. I feel at times I am not on the right path and starting over with a new insulin when I didn't have a handle on the old is disconcerting. But I have to remember we are only in our fifth week of our sugar baby journey.