Fly free my beautiful Sam (GA)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra & CB (GA) & Gang, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

Sadly, with much tears in my eyes, today my Sam earned his wings. I know that I haven't really spoke much about Sam here, so let me sorta introduce you to my boy. Sam was born many many moons ago (about 14 years worth) to a stray mom kitty that roamed around our neighborhood. To tell you the truth, I don't even remember what color she was, nor the colors of his siblings. She just came by here once in a while looking for a drink of cool water or some food. One day though, she came here with a small herd of kittens following her. One stood out, a brilliantly blue eyed baby, little siamese mix, a beautiful little baby! I wanted to grab that baby up so quick, but I didn't. I didn't want to scare mom kitty. Over the next 2 or 3 weeks mom kitty would come back on occasion, but as luck would have it, that gorgeous little kitten didn't! I worried, I just knew that some horrible fate fell upon him.

Then one day, lo and behold, there was mom kitty with her entire flock of purrlings, and I snatched that blue eyed baby up so quick he didn't know what had happened! He had the dark tipped ears, nose, feet and tail, and was a light creamy color elsewhere. As he grew his coat darkened and developed into a chocolate color on his sides, with swirls of beige running through the chocolate. He looked sorta like a lynx point siamese. The fatter he got the darker he got! LOL! And fat he got! Sam topped out at about 16 pounds, rotund, and happy. He always loved Jasmine, and she seemed to appreciate the attention she got from him.

When I had to have Jasmine put to sleep, Sam took it hard. He became depressed and just wanted to stay on our bed alone. I tried to spend extra time with him, and he seemed to enjoy that, but still he wasn't the same Sam. He started losing weight....very gradually, nothing extreme. I didn't really worry, I thought it was due to him still grieving and his age. Then this weekend I noticed that he wasn't eating much. I offered him canned ad, which he ate up readily, for just 2 days. Then I switched to chicken flavored baby food, which he ate well, until last night. He started breathing heavily last night, and my heart knew what my head didn't want to face. I got him to my vet this morning....where they found a huge mass in his abdomen! And with the stress from the car ride he started having blood dripping from one nostril. My vet also found that several other lymph nodes which were enlarged and hard.

Instead of putting Sam through all sorts of tests and such, I decided to give him peace. My vet inserted a catheter into his vein, and we went into the "peaceful" room at the clinic. There I sat and spoke to Sam, telling him how he was such a good boy, and that he could go be with Jasmine now, and to watch out for Tequila (he used to pick on her sooo much!). Then the vet gave him the sedation, and then the final shot. He went very quickly, quietly as he always was. No more suffering or hiding his illness.........

I knew that this would be the most likely outcome of today. But, when the vet tech came out with a fur clipping tied with a beautiful blue bow, I lost it right there. Drove home crying, grabbed Autumn and Bruiser, and hugged them for all I was worth.

And so, namaste my beautiful blue eyed boy. Sam, I will always cherish the 14 years we had together. So now, go play with Jasmine, say Hi to Cinnamon and Care Bear, speak to Cowboy and Schultzie, and watch out for Tequila. See ya soon, Sam I Am. :^(

2. Lisa and Spooky (GA)

Lisa and Spooky (GA) Member

I am so very sorry. Be at peace, sweet Sam.

With sympathy,

Lisa and Spooky (GA)

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Oh I am sorry Deb, this is so sad! But it truly sounds like his time to go...fly free Sam!

Hugs

Jen

4. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Debra, I am so sorry. My heart grieves along with yours. Donna

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Safe crossings ((((Sam))))

((((Debra)))) thank you for sharing your story on Sam.
    My heart goes out to you on this sad day. Sending many many prayers your way.

6. Susan G and Tiger GA

Susan G and Tiger GA Member

safe crossing, sam, enjoy those beautiful wings!

7. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

(Debra)) I am so sorry. I am sure he was very glad you brought him into your home and gave him love. What a sweet boy. Fly free Sam, you will be missed!

8. Karla and Sassy

Karla and Sassy Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. I suffered the same loss on Friday and I know how you are feeling. I just wanted to say that I am sorry.

9. dd & savannah

dd & savannah Member

So sorry for your loss :( Beautiful story about how you chose him.
    Sending hugs your way...
    Dianne

10. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Debra))))) I am so very sorry. Fly free, dearest Sam, and whisper your love to your Mum from time to time. wings_cat

11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

just tears...Lucky Jasmine...Bless your heart, you done right by your boy.

Jeanne

12. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May all your wonderful memories of Sam bring you comfort...

...'til you meet again.

13. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I am so very sorry for your loss.
    wings_cat

14. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

((( Debra )))

I'm so sorry. Your post was so touching.

Fly free, Sam I Am.

15. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Debra,

I am so very, very sorry for your loss of Sam. My heart breaks for you.

~M

16. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Debra))))) I'm sharing your tears today.

Fly free sweet Sam... play like a kitten once again and delight in the friends that have been waiting.

17. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((((((((DEBRA))))))))))))))))))))

Wrapping you in cyber hugs. I am so very sorry about Sam. He is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

wings_cat

18. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

Sam is at the bridge whole again. Fly Free>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<

19. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

(((Debra)))

What a beautiful story for a beautiful boy ... even his final days showed gentleness and dignity. He was a lucky boy with a fabulous mom, and had a life filled with love and family.

I am so sorry you had to say goodbye, but Jasmine got to say hello again.

Wishing you peace and comfort.

Wishing Sam a safe journey.

20. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Fly free Sam

21. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss. No matter how long we get with them, its not enough.

22. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathies. Sam had a wonderful life filled with love and companionship with you. May God bring you comfort and peace now.

23. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I'm so sorry, (((Debra))).

Fly free, Sam! I know Jasmine was waiting to welcome you!

24. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

I am so sorry to hear this...fly free sweet Sam! He knew you loved him very much. He is not in pain now.

25. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. I do find comfort in knowing that Sam is no longer in any pain or suffering, and I pray that he's already reunited with his furry family that has gone on before him. I miss him most when it's time for bed because Sam would always sleep on the foot of the bed on my side. I guess he knew that I'm a pretty quiet sleeper (once asleep I don't move until I wake up the next morning) and felt comfortable there. None of my other pets seem to miss Sam, I guess they all knew that his time was short and had already accepted the inevitable. I wish I had had some signs of things going wrong for Sam sooner than I did. His only symptom that he couldn't hide was his weight loss, but that wasn't drastic nor fast. I think that because he was so big to begin with his weight loss just didn't look bad.

Sam was always a quiet boy, not much of a talker, and whenever someone would come into our house that he was unfamiliar with he would run and hide. But Tuesday, as he and I sat in the "quiet" room, me on the floor and Sam lying on the couch, as he was breathing hard, he started looking out the window towards the sights out there. The windows in this clinic are fairly low to the floor, and are tinted so that while plenty of light comes in through them there isn't the glare from the sun. Anyway, while I was talking to Sam, telling him about what was going to happen, and of just how much we all love him, I started telling him that he would soon be with his friends Care Bear and Cinnamon, and that his little fluffy orange Jasmine would be there waiting for him, he stared out the window towards the sky, and he started meowing. It was like he was telling me that he was ready to leave his frail, diseased body, and at the same time, I felt that he was calling to his friends, telling them to wait up for him! A few moments later the vet came into the room, and Sam looked up at her and meowed again to her, almost like he was pleading with her to hurry up. She sat on the floor with me and started stroking Sam. She asked me if I was ready, I said yes, so she started the sedation injection. Sam just looked at her, then he gently laid his head down, once again facing the window, and with that he was gone.....

(((((Sam)))))

26. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for your loss ((Debra)) Fly free Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.