GA Fly Free My Sweet Peek-a-Boo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA), Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

As the chaos of the morning is now behind me, this hits me like a ton of bricks...

Yesterday Peek-a-Boo could not pass stool. I managed his chronic constipation with Miralax and lactulose, but yesterday he strained and produced nothing. My nephew had a musical program in the evening, and I decided when I returned, if there still was nothing, I would take him in.

Got home. No stool. We went to the emergency and the vet on duty said he was indeed constipated and a quick sedation and enema, along with small amount of fluids should do it, and we'd be on our way...piece of cake. It was a busy night there and we got home around midnight. I was relieved that he would soon start to feel better, and so I lined my bedroom floor with piddle pads to prepare for the mess that was to come. Peeks crawled out of his carrier and stumbled a few feet before laying down...typical of anesthesia wearing off. Vet said lethargy was to be expected. I knew this.

I checked on him periodically and he moved from pad to pad making a mess, but for most of the night he didn't move much. I gave him a reduced dose of insulin at 6 a.m. but he still had no interest in moving around or eating/drinking. I brought water bowl to him and he put his head in it, but couldn't make the movements to drink. By 7 a.m. I started to get scared.

I called the clinic to ask if his hydrocephalus was having an effect on the anesthesia wearing off. She said Drs. she spoke to wanted him in.

My vet is a bit of a drive and this suddenly became an emergency. His body started to feel a bit cold but he was hanging in there. I talked and sang to him hoping he'd let me get there in time. At the clinic, the staff whisked him away and the Dr. said he looked rough, but they were working on him....

When the Dr. returned, the look on his face said it all. His bg was over 700, 2/3 of his kidneys were not functioning, his blood pressure was so low it would not register. He said he would make efforts to treat him, but that it was "futile" because there was so much going on and shock was setting in. It wasn't likely he'd survive.

I was not prepared to have to make this decision today. I had a small amount of time to say goodbye to my boy, give him kisses, and let him know how much I loved him so. I cradled him while he gently crossed over. I never imagined he would leave me this way. I always thought he would succumb to the acromegaly.

Something went wrong during last nights procedure. It wasn't lethargy at all, his body was shutting down from the point of discharge. Was it from anesthesia? We will never know. He spread his paw apart when I started petting him while we waited to get admitted ...I hope it was because he knew mama was trying her best.

Fly free my handsome boy...11 years gone by too soon. This feels unbearable.

I loved you like there was no tomorrow....
    and then one day, there wasn't.
    peekbaby.jpg
    peekbaby2.jpg
    peektoy.JPG

2. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

What a handsome boy. I teared up reading your post and I am so so sorry for your loss. :(

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Oh Dawn, I am so sorry, my heart is just breaking for you. I just don't even have words...I know how much you loved him. Sending peace and healing strength for you. (((Hugs)))

Lucy

Fly free, beloved Peek-a-Boo, and land softly back in your Mama's heart cat_wings>o

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Oh Dawn, I'm so very very sorry. Fly free sweet Peek-a-Boo, you are truly loved:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that Peek had to leave you, Dawn :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Our sweet furbabies never come with a guarantee (as you well know with Peek's other problems) but you gave him a wonderful life for the time he had to share with you and nobody could have been a better mamabean

Fly free sweet Peek-a-Boo and Land softly....there are many old friends at the bridge waiting to welcome you tonight and keep you company until the one you love most comes to be with you forever cat_wings>o

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Dawn, the tears are pouring here too! Words escape me and seem totally inadequate. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine what you are going through. Peek-a-Boo was indeed one handsome little guy.......a very special kitty with a very special Mama Bean! I'm sure Peek-a Boo knows you were trying your best. Fly free Peek-a Boo and send your Mama a sign you landed softly at the Bridge:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:!

7. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Dawn. I'm sure Peek knew you did the best you could and that you loved him very much. He's no longer in your arms, but will be forever in your heart. :rb_icon:

8. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

I've absolutely no doubt he knew it. So sorry you had to lose your sweet boy; my heart hurts for you.
    Fly free, Peek-a-Boo.cat_wings>o

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know your heartache.
    Fly Free Beautiful One.:rb_icon:
    cat_wings>o

10. dpl_hcm

dpl_hcm Member

cat_wings>oso sorry best wishes and im sure he knew u where there

11. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

12. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

cat_wings>o You have my deepest sympathy (hugs)

13. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Oh, no ...

(((((((((((((((((((((Dawn)))))))))))))))))))))

Crying my eyes out. I've some idea of the pain you must be in, and my heart aches for you. Peek-a-Boo was such a very, very special boy. I'm so glad you found each other. He could not have been more loved, and I'm desperately sorry for your loss.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

14. Critter Mom

There was a boy.
    A very strange enchanted boy ...

And then one day,
    One magic day he passed my way ...

The greatest thing you can ever learn
    Is just to love
    And be loved
    In return.

15. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

I am so sorry for the loss of Peek a Boo. My heart breaks for you. Just the little time I've been on the board I know how much he was loved. May he fly free and land safely across the bridge. He'll be waiting for you!

16. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

((( :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:)))) I wish I could offer more strength and peace for you, but words fail me, :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Dawn, I am so sorry this has happened. He was a beautiful boy.
    Sending my deepest condolencescat_wings>o. Fly free dear Peek-a-Boo.

18. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Dawn... I am so sorry for your loss... I just saw this and am here with tears streaming down my face. My heart hurts for you and with you....land softly sweet boycat_wings>o

19. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Peek A Boo.

{{hugs}}

20. dollybird

dollybird New Member

I am so very sorry for your heartbreaking loss.

21. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Sweet boy. I am so very sorry. He knew how much you loved him..

22. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Dawn}}}

I am just heartbroken to learn that Peek-a-Boo has crossed the bridge. His last day reminded me a great deal of my girls, Minka and Sasha, that I lost in January. Both declined suddenly and rapidly, and when I took them in to the vet I was unprepared to learn they were ready to leave me. I understand the devastation you feel. Just try to remember that you gave him the best possible life and he knew only love while he was with you. He will remain in your heart forever, and you can see him there any time you want.

Fly free, sweet Peek-a-Boo, and land softly. :rb_icon:

23. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Dear Dawn,
    I'm really really sorry you had to say goodbye to your lovely Peek-a-Boo!
    You are the best kitty mom and he knew it and he still carries it in his heart!
    Millions of hugs
    Marlena

24. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry. This heartache is like no other, and the suddenness and shock are making it even harder for you... Do take care and be very gentle with yourself. In time you will be able to smile at the memories and the sure and certain knowledge that Peek-a-Boo lives on for ever in your heart.

Hugs
    Diana

25. Carol and Rosie (Beaka)

Carol and Rosie (Beaka) Member

Tears here too. No words can comfort you but he was such a beautiful boy and was lucky to have you to love and care for him. He's at peace now and so eventually you will be too. Stay strong Xx

26. Critter Mom

Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers ...

I wish there was something I could do to help you, Dawn.

27. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

So very very sorry Dawn. Peek was beautiful! No doubt he knew how much you loved him.

28. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Oh, Dawn... I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet Peek-a-Boo. It breaks my heart. Sending hugs, prayers, and comfort your way.
    images.jpg

29. Janey

Janey New Member

:bighug::bighug: so sorry for your loss xx

30. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

o Dawn. Such sudden, heartbreaking, devastating news. Sweet Peek knew how much he was loved, and you did all that was possible for him. Still, the pain and enormity of the loss is so difficult. No words can ease it, but time and happy memories of your sweet boy will eventually. Fly high and free in your newly restored body Peek-a-boo. Send your devoted mama a sign you've arrived safely in the company of all the other GA's at the bridge. Huge hugs and lots of love to you Dawn. :bighug::bighug::bighug:cat_wings>o

31. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Dawn, I am so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for Peek-a-boo.

Fly free Peek-a-boo. Keep watch over everyone who loves you. cat_wings>o

32. Elle & Squeak (GA)

Elle & Squeak (GA) Member

:bighug: I'm so very sorry for your loss.

33. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers at this difficult time.

34. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Dawn, I've only just seen this, I am so very sorry for your loss. Peeks knew right at the end that you were there to love and hold him as he crossed to the rainbow bridge, surrounded by your love for ever more. My heart breaks for you, fly free sweet Peek-a-boo and land softly cat_wings>o:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  35. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

{{{Dawn}}} I am so sorry it was Peek a Boo's time to earn his angel wings. The sudden ones are so hard to bear. :bighug::bighug: Spreading his paw was probably his sign to you.

Too many acro angels lately - but Peek has many GA's ready to greet him and make him feel at home at the Bridge. I hope he sends you a sign soon. cat_wings>o

36. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry Dawn. I know you loved Peek a Boo and Peek a Boo loved you.

37. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So very sorry. Be free Peek-a-Boo.

38. Jeanne

Jeanne Member

So very sorry for you loss. The love you have for your boy will continue in your heart. Hugs

39. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Sending Hugs and prayers to you for the loss of your sweet boy. Fly Free Sweet Peek-A-Boocat_wings>o

40. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Oh, (((Dawn))).... You poor love...
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your gorgeous boy....
    Sending you huge hugs from across the pond.
    Fly free, sweet spirit Peek-a-Boo. And send Dawn a sign that all is well with you... :rb_icon:

Eliz x

41. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Dawn Such a tragic, sad story I am so very sorry for this most terrible news One day at a time.......
    You are in my thoughts and prayers

42. Nancy and Scotty

Nancy and Scotty Member

So sorry for your loss.

43. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

To my dear FDMB friends,

I apologize for the delay in responding to all the comforting wishes, thoughts, and prayers I have received. Today was a very busy yet extremely difficult day to get through...fighting tears and trying to keep myself together for the most part...only to let loose at tiny moments in a bathroom or in my car.

Nobody came around the corner as I made my coffee this morning. We had a routine where I'd grab my coffee mug and fill it with some water to pour in his bowl, then refill and pour into the Keurig for me....he'd wait for it. I'd then toss him his crinkle bug or flying squirrel with feathers. The bathroom has never felt so lonely, since most mornings, he is stepping in the shower before I can even get out. He loved water. Turning off the insulin alarms on my phone was especially sad for me. I hope I don't hear that ringtone again for a very long time. Everyone I knew was aware of the Peeky alarms...6 a.m./p.m.

My civvie Mai Tai woke me up this morning purring at my bedside for breakfast. She has never before had to wait for food as there was ALWAYS something down...lots of it. She was very active today and maybe is the only one happy that Peek-a-Boo is no longer around...she tolerated him, but not much else. I'm glad she is o.k.

I always hoped that when Peek-a-Boo passed, I would have some control over it....it was quite the opposite. His regular vet is only in a few times a week, so a doctor that I am less than fond of helped him cross. Because time was of the essence, I also had to go alone and couldn't even say goodbye here at home first....I was almost hyperventilating...I have never experienced such panic in my life. At one point on the drive home, I came to an intersection and had to think what I was supposed to do at the light, turn or go straight?! I carried the fear of his passing in the back of my head every single day since he first became sick in June 2014....I no longer have that burden. I'm on the other side of the hump now...trying to move forward.

I loved that cat so much...he was truly one of a kind. Many of you acknowledged that...I am grateful.

@Erica & Carter , @Bron and Sheba , @Carol and Rosie (Beaka) , @Shoeskitty , @Elizabeth and Bertie: Yes, he was a handsome boy...that face lit up my world...:bighug:

@Chris & China : I was thinking that too...he has so many friends there to help him find his way...:bighug:

@Tricia & Cinco & Harvey : I know you understand...:bighug:

@Lily-Fish : You were the "first responder" when I was so desperate for prayers yesterday...yours was only one I had time to read before the darkness came. He had your prayer before he passed...I will always remember that...:bighug:

@suki & crystal (GA) : how ironic that our cats mirrored each other even in passing...it's as if they wanted to go to the Bridge together...I'm sure sweet Crystal told him how magical it looks...:bighug:

@Megan & Oren : I always wished I could give him a new body...one with eyes to see the birds...:bighug:

@Critter Mom : Mogs, you always know what to say...Peeks never had his own song other than the silly stuff I would make up...how fitting for my little 'Nature Boy'...that will forever be his tune...one day it won't bring tears...:bighug:

To all the others who sent condolences and prayers and all things that make me love the people on this board....I attempted to acknowledge each and every one of you, but this is too long as it is and I realized I'd be here all night...I am starting to write a novel. I need to lay down and try to get some rest...I did not sleep much last night. I am truly honored to have found this group... I will need to catch up on condos as I always try to read each and every one....you all are the absolute best...you have shown Peek-a-Boo and I so much love and I cannot begin to express what that means to me.

Dawn :bighug:

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  44. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Dear Dawn))) I am not sure even what to say to you over this heartbreaking loss. There are no words of comfort because your heart is in so much pain and I completely empathize with you. Your little Peek-a-boo was so very precious and it has always been so clear how lucky he was to have you and your love.

Fly free sweet Peek. My Gracie will guide you to the Bridge.

image.jpeg

45. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Dawn))) I have been thinking about you both ever since I heard the terrible news, just wanted to send you some extra prayers for peace and comfort. :bighug::bighug::bighug:. I'm sure Crystal is waiting for him at the Bridge and they can sit in the sunshine together, happy and whole :bighug::bighug::bighug:

46. pat121

pat121 Member

So very sorry. I don't think there is ever enough time to say goodbye, and always those "what if" questions. I don't think we ever really know what's going on in their little bodies, and they can't tell us. I think when it's hard to stand up, or breathe, or potty or eat, maybe they are telling us that it's time. Unlike humans, there are no extraordinary means/equipment to treat some things, and would we want those for ourselves? He has crossed that bridge, and so many others babies from here were there waiting. HUGS and take care of you

47. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Suki,

Thank you for sending extra prayers...one day it will it will get easier, it's just feels so empty without him, as you already know. Our kitties are so tough, and yet so very fragile. I picked up his paw print today...it even has little pieces of his fur in it. I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about, but many vets here make an imprint of your cats paw in clay that you bake in the oven as an ornament. They also gave me an easel to display it that way. Hope the days are brighter for you..:bighug::bighug:

Dawn

pat121 likes this.
  48. Critter Mom

You're in my thoughts and prayers. I know how lonely you are for your beloved boy. My heart really and truly goes out to you, Dawn. Many a tear still being shed over here ...

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.