Follow up to cat peeing on me - New question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lks_oscar, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lks_oscar

lks_oscar New Member

Hi again - once again seeking some insights... To get you up to speed, Amigo, the cat who twice jumped into bed and peed on me has been to the vet. They said he showed signs of inflammation and had some bacteria in his urine (which later turned out NOT to be an infection). Sent us home with pain meds and antibiotics.

So a week later, he started throwing up. I look up urinary tract inflammation + vomit and find it could be blockage. To the ER we go. The ER vet said she didn't feel any hardness in his bladder but I made her do x-rays anyway. Those showed severe constipation. They kept him the whole weekend, gave him an enema, tons of fluids, etc. and got him cleaned out.

Which brings me to my latest question because I need to monitor his "output" - how long does it take on average from the time he eats till the time he passes it? He threw up again over night and I am trying not to panic (yet). I locked him in the basement today so I could see if he does pass anything (my sis checked at lunch and so far nothing but she said he's acting normal and hasn't vomited). I don't know if he went overnight or not but he'll have been quarantined for 10 hours by the time I get home and he did eat this morning. (and he is peeing fine, I witnessed that-in the box-this morning)

Thanks much everyone!

2. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

I think that if he just got cleaned out, you might not see anything right away. When Thomas had IBD, if he spent the whole day pooping (diarhhea), sometimes he would then go another day without anything.
    Isn't if fun to be on poo patrol!
    Dana

3. lks_oscar

lks_oscar New Member

Supposedly he went yesterday - the vet said she wouldn't send him home till he did. However, she gave me different answers on a few things so I am now questioning if he really did or not. I just feel bad with him locked up but with 3 cats, what can you do? Hopefully he'll just go and all will be well when I get home!

4. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Once cleaned out by an enema, it could be 48 hours before anything else passes, then possibly
    not the normal volume. Depends upon if he's eating well.

Normally, food passes through cat 12-24 hours and most cats go about once per day, on average.

5. lks_oscar

lks_oscar New Member

Thanks all! He hadn't gone when I got home so I called the vet who said not to worry. Actually to worry more about the barfing than anything else (which thankfully he hadn't done either). And then when I went downstairs to put laundry in, low and behold, he did his thing. Whew. Now, fingers crossed for a barf free and peeing on me free night!!

6. weeble

weeble Member

Is he still on the antibiotics? Did he have crystals?

By the way--it's really annoying that he didn't have an infection, but they gave him ABs anyway. That can really upset a cat's stomach. And constipation can lead to vomiting.

What's he eating?

7. lks_oscar

lks_oscar New Member

In hind sight I agree. I was swayed by not wanting to get peed on again. Currently they are on Evo - I change it up but always grain free.

8. weeble

weeble Member

I've been through some pretty major digestion issues with my kitty.

Pumpkin is good for constipation and diarrhea. Honestly I would start with that--plain canned pumpkin, not one with sugar and spices. I've had really good luck with slippery elm root, too--which actually soothes the bladder as well. People have suggestion probiotics or yogurt as well. My cat has a dairy intolerance and the probiotics didn't work well for her, but they have for other cats.

You might also want to check if he does better with one food rather than other. Also, EVO is really rich, so if his stomach is extra sensitive right now, you may want to look at something a little less rich and maybe with a little more fiber. But if you do introduce new food do it slowly, so slowly that it drives you crazy. I found that my cat could take home-cooked meats better than canned foods during her worst periods, so you could look at that as well. Also, my cat can only do a bunch of little meals. It puts less strain on her digestion.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

9. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Tess will often skip a day in the poo department. I give her 1/8 tsp of Mialax every day, I think some peeps use up to1/4 twice a day. It is very gentle and works by drawing water to the digestive tract. Several members recommended it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.