Follow-Up to Rocky post

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen Mulholland, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen Mulholland

Karen Mulholland Member

I forgot to mention, I have been feeding every 2-3 hours (total of 3 cans daily) in an effort to keep BG steady. I purchased the PetSafe 5 and use it when I am at work and through the night. Is this the right thing to do. I am trying to have him lose about 2 lbs. I have read to not aim for more than 2 ounces per week. He is currently 15.8 pounds and I think he would be better off at 13. He's s big male. I can feel his ribs and as per Dr. Lisa's advise am paying attention to the area from his head to shoulders. He seems pretty well muscled????????????? This is so consuming!!!!!

2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

If you can feel his ribs, then he may not need to lose weight. I see you are using a very small amount of insulin. Sometimes it is good to let your kitteh have a little layer of fat to get thru the times when they have challenges eating.

I don't use the Petsafe, but many people do use it. If the food is left out for a long time, they freeze it before putting it in there. However, I free feed our kittehs. We generally feel food that is inside is still safe within a 24 hour period. We would never do that outside though - because flies lay eggs on wet food.

You are making good progress with Rocky. I bet the time constraints settle down after awhile.

3. Karen Mulholland

Karen Mulholland Member

Thank you for the encouragement:) I can feel his ribs with a gentle push. I'm going to weigh him again today. If he has lost since last week, I will up his food. He has a ravenous appetite and I'm concerned he would eat himself to death if given the chance.

4. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Has your vet told you what his ideal weight is? This is a good chart to determine where he should be: https://sphynxlair.com/community/styles//images/Cat weight chart.png

I've always feed Bandit 4 times a day (every 6 hours), with a small snack or treats once or twice in between. We also have a Petsafe 5 feeder, and use it when we are able while we are at work/sleeping. Frequent feedings are great but you can space out the feedings a little more if it's too much for you. There's nothing wrong with feeding that frequently as long as you're pulling food up 2 hours before your preshot test, but feeding 4-6 times a day is absolutely fine, too.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That is a good concern to have. He sounds to be in an ideal weight range though.

I think there are many humans who pretty much eat themselves into an early grave. And they should know better!

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.