Food Advice for New UK Members

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Simon & Sam, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon & Sam

Simon & Sam Member

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum but I want to try to make sure that our new UK members see this.

The best food available in the UK to feed FD kitties is Butchers Classic Cat Food. It can be hard to find but all branches of Sainsburys stock it.

Hope this helps

Love

2. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Well done Simon, I think it's a great idea to title a new post with UK in it so UKers know where to look specificially!

Could I just add - not all cats will eat Butchers. Some do, some don't - and if they don't, they have to eat something! Felix or Whiskas in jelly are great, not quite so low in carbs but absolutely fine. Tin or pouch equally good.

Try to keep kitties off dry foods of all kinds (unless you are not home-testing and are nervous about BGs dropping too fast), including "light" varieties - still very high in carbs. Meat though - pieces of chicken or ham - is great because it's pure protein and kitties will love it. Some people keep chopped cooked meat in the fridge to give their cats at "testing time", ie as a treat when a home-test has been successfully carried out.

Oh and newbie owners please note - treats are useful for yourself as well, eg chocolate/wine/ice-cream (delete as appropriate!)

Do please ask as many questions as you like, there aren't many of us here in the UK but we will always do our best to support you.

Best wishes
    Diana (Surrey)

3. Kim and Shakti

Kim and Shakti New Member

Our local Pets at Home also sells Butchers Classic, hoping this may help!

Kim (Coventry)

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

5. Simon & Sam

Simon & Sam Member

You're right Diana. Butchers is something of an acquired taste ... Felix and Whiskers in jelly are both good to feed felines! (I'm looking after one of the neighbours cats ... Poppy. You remember the kitty who was always out in the cold and rain. I spoke to their owners and suggested that it might be good to let her spend more time in the house as she became more senior and she is much healthier and happier now. The owners left me food for while they were away but the rations were a day short so I had to take some Butchers over at feeding time. Poppy seemed to love it!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.