food advice please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah Doherty, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah Doherty

Sarah Doherty New Member

Hi im new here,I'm from the UKand my lovely 10 year old girl has just been diagnosed with diabetes and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all!
    I have changed her food from dry (which she would just graze on) to Felix as good as it looks senior in jelly, I've been giving her 2 pouches twice a day one at 7am and one at 7pm, is this enough? (she weighs 2.760kg)
    She will start on her insulin tomorrow but I wanted to get her used to her new diet and routine first.
    Am I doing the right thing? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah, welcome! I’ll tag @Diana&Tom to help with the U.K. specifics, but in the meantime here’s some good info http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...other-need-to-know-stuff.137376/#post-2449938
    Are you planning to home test? It’s highly recommended as it’s the only real way to keep your kitty safe and see how well the insulin is working. It’s especially important since you’ve changed to a lower carb food and that could be lowering her blood sugar significantly. If you need some help learning, let us know and we’ll be glad to help!

Diana&Tom likes this.
  3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah, welcome to FDMB, you'll find all the help you need here.

Any wet food in jelly is generally your best bet, so you've made a good choice already. As to whether two pouches a day is enough - it depends on your kitty's appetite. If she is still hungry, you may need to feed more, smaller meals - many unregulated diabetics are ravenous until their blood sugar levels are under better control.

What insulin are you giving and what dose? I'm guessing it's Caninsulin? We usually suggest a starting dose of no higher than 1u twice a day, which can be adjusted as necessary but it's better and safer to start low. And as Sharon says, be aware that switching from a high-carb dry food to a much lower-carb wet food can itself lower bg without insulin, so you do really need to be testing bg at home before every shot as a minimum. You could ask your vet about this but don't be surprised if they aren't encouraging - it's not as commonly supported by vets as we'd like. So I'd definitely suggest getting yourself a home testing kit and, again as Sharon says,
    post here to ask for help. There are no "new" questions and no "silly" questions!

Good luck!

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.