food AFTER shot?!? your comments...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sun, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sun

sun Member

as siujim BG not able to regulated, i talked to the vet again today. and she suggested 3 meals instead of 4 meals. and she says it is better if we can control her BG under 180 in mid day at least, then she will feel better.
    but my worries are diabetic cats need food. and she is thin (just 2.6kg).

and doing the shot after food (15-3mins) is not the practice i know.
    what are your comments?

i am very confused...
    today, she urine on her bed and moves less and less.
    i am worried.

she used to have lack in k+ and was on k+ supplements. do u think the lack of strength and also urine on bed is resulted of low k+?

thx

2. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

I free feed my cats and let them eat all they need...

And I always give food with the shot. Usually while he's stuffing his face in the food bowl is when I give him the shot, so that he's distracted.

3. sun

sun Member

i sometimes do the same as well.
    i just worry that is it dangerous to feed after shot for 15-30mins when the insulin is working?

what i do is BG, food then shot and all these done in 15-20mins.
    so food after shot is not a regular practice.

pls comment.

thx
    anson

4. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

I'm not an expert and new here myself, but I'll tell you what happened last night. I gave Heart (my cat) food with his shot, but I didn't give him his favourite flavour so he wouldn't eat it. He was begining to hypo an hour later. Granted, his pre-shot BG was very low (72) so a bit of insulin and it dropped very quickly. I then of course had to give him food that he liked.

This morning the same thing, I didn't give him the food he liked, so he didn't eat, but this time within a half hour, his BG was up from 209 to 266. I guess in the first half hour it didn't kick in yet, but after an hour last night it sure had!

So based on that, if his pre-shot BG is higher, then it's safe for me and my cat to not feed immediately with or before the shot. If it's low though, I wouldn't take that chance. No eat = no shot for me next time. Doesn't take long for their BGs to drop, especially if they are low.

5. sun

sun Member

i understand. this is why i asked for folks' comments here.

if i give her food after shot, which means i have to take BG every time.
    this may not be possible...

thx...

6. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

We always fed after the shot, though it wasn't very long, I went and dished up the food right after the shot. It was the routine that worked for Smokey. Once she got to the food, momma's-messing-with-me time was up. If I tried to give during food she'd growl (and she never growls) once she was done, she was off to sleep and wouldn't sit still. Giving the shot before the food she was a usually perfect angel, she'd go to her testing spot and lay there purring until the testing and shot were over.

I personally wouldn't feed less than 4 times a day, but if I had to go to 3, then I would do shot times and once during the night. I'd leave the no food time between AM shot and PM shot just because a hungry cat over night means no one gets any sleep.

7. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

I'll have to try this. I get growled at, too :( And he's never growled at me before the FC.

8. sun

sun Member

may i ask, u did BG every time before shot?

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I NEVER gave insulin BEFORE getting a BG reading FIRST. It is a good practice to ALWAYS check BG BEFORE giving insulin.

Jeanne

10. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

test BG, give food and then shoot. Before giving the shot, you need to see that they want to eat. If they do not want to eat, it may not be safe to give the shot.

We leave food available 24 hours -- all day and night.

11. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

Before Sophia was diet controlled we checked her every morning and night and when she starte eating we gave her the shot. it orked out really well and she did not even notice when we did it and we felt more comfortable too.

12. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I think it took about 2 weeks to get all 3 of us comfortable with testing and from then on, yes, we tested at all preshots. Smokey's ears were tender and she hid on us every now and then those first couple of weeks so I'd give her some longer periods of no testing and hubby took a little longer to get comfortable enough to try for the PM shot. Once we all got comfortable with the testing, she was usually not only willing, she ran to her test spot when she spotted the meter.

I want to point out that we were on Lantus. Some of the shorter acting insulins might be different in their food timing needs since their action is quite a bit different than the long lasting insulins like Lantus.

13. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

I have always fed him first, then given him a shot. I have never been told otherwise, my vet told me that feeding him first gives you a little insurance that he wont crash. Not sure if that's true, and I have shot before feeding when his BG was really high, I'm not sure that is a good practice since I'm a newbie myself.

I feed Jake every 2-4 hours depending in his appetite. I always give him nice chunks of meat, or canned grain free wet food when he pleases. I would rather feed him when he likes than risk him not eating enough food.

Hope that helps.

Breayle and Jake

14. sun

sun Member

i am using lantau too. this morning, her amps is 285, so it's a still "safe" to do the shot before food. so i tried for the first time... but i didn't feed after 15mins, i feed after 5 min to play safe... i was then out to work do i didn't check th mid-day. the domestic helper helped to feed the pre lunch small meal (with sam-e) and then lunch. will check further bg at night time.

in anyways, i really want to to change to another insulin, or start all over again in 1.5 unit... though the vet is still unwilling...

difficult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.