Food boredom in cats?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cornad, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cornad

cornad Member

Spencer got enemas and fluids yesterday to treat his constipation. The vet said he was eating well and no vomiting while he was there.

When I got him home, he went straight to the kitchen and asked for food. I put down his fancy feast that hes been eating for weeks. He sniffed it, took a few bites and walked away. And today is seems to be the same story.

Spencer is not eating THAT much, barely much this morning. I tried giving him his fancy feast and he took a few bites and walked away.
    Same this afternoon but he keeps begging for my meals. I was having a croissant w/ham and swiss, I gave him some ham and we went nuts begging for more and he keeps asking for my food and not eating his own.

I think he might be tired of the flavors of fancy feast or something. He seems to have quite an appetite but no interest in fancy feast anymore.

I fed him Wellness at first, he ate it for about 2 weeks and same story. EVO lasted a few days, then he just refused to eat it. Now it's fancy feast. I'm not sure what to do. Should I try alternating several different brands? I read about making homemade raw food for cats and I don't think its something I can do at this moment, maybe in time.

Is he bored of the food? I mean I know I would be too. I love to cook and hate leftovers. Right now tonight, I don't know what to feed him! Lunch meat? Pork chops? to hold him over while I search for more food options tomorrow? I don't know what to do.

2. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

Right now you feed him anything he'll eat thats reasonably acceptable. Friskies, sure. 9-lives, sure. Fancy Feast, if thats what you want dear. Another flavor - of course, I'll just open a can up. The low-carb ham from my sandwich, why not (not honey glazed etc). You want the insides of an italian hoagie - I don't see why not my dear. Baby food, freshly scrambled eggs etc.

Right now he needs to eat, so feed him. Later when he feels better you can tell him tough carb-free cookies and that he can eat what he was served and like it, or wait till the next meal. Yittle was particularly crazy for boneless, skinless chicken thighs sauteed in olive oil or a touch of bacon grease with a sprinkle of salt back during the days when he was practically starving to death while we got his insulin right. He also loved the guts of italian hoagie's so I'd feed him the lunch meat and cheese. Before him I had a cat who craved the hottest buffalo wings I could get my hands on, she was dying so if thats what she wanted thats what she got. I'd peel the meat and skin off the bones and dice it up and feed it to her.

3. cornad

cornad Member

It's not boredom.. I should just erase this post :(

4. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

No, you shouldn't. We all learn from one another, so this post might just bring someone else comfort.

I grew up with a cat who got a wide variety of food. He would become finicky every once and a while and I think it had more to do with enjoying us cater to him then anything else.

Cats were designed to eat small rodents they found in the desert. There is not a lot of variety to that type of diet, so I doubt they get "bored". But have the same kind of issue that they have when they have litter box issues. They associate the box with the pain, so they stop using it. Your kitty might have an association with the FF and the health ills.. not that this is true - just as the litter box didn't cause the pain.

Connie

5. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

I rotate about six different brands so I have options if a cat becomes inappetant. Try some of the things he has eaten in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.