food data charts

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vtambo & Rex, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

has anyone compared the food data charts between Tanya's CKD site and this site? I am trying to compare since my cat has both diabetes and CKD and am finding there to be BIG differences in the info. I see that on Tanya's website they are calculated in DMB and on Dr. Lisa's chart is says it is based on TNA (typical nutrient analysis). what is the difference?? I am so confused on this whole topic and I am REALLY struggling to find good alternatives for food to feed Rex. and now I am even confused on the food I have been feeding since the info between the two charts is pretty significantly different.

ex.: Whole Earth Duck Pate Tanya's site is listing it as 41 protein, 41 fat, 5 carbs and .80 phosphorus
    Dr. Lisa's site says it is 28 protein, 68 fat, 4 carbs and 130 phosphorus.

I am not even sure for example - what does 28 protein mean? does it mean grams? Or ??? and as far as the phosphorus numbers - why is on .80 and the other 130?

If anyone can help me out here, I would so sincerely appreciate it!

Thank you.

Vicki T. and Rex

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi Vicky,
    it's an interesting question that you 've raised. I have no experience with it but am highly interested to learn more.

I am going to tag @LizzieInTexas to help out.

Lizzie, I am sorry if tag you in by mistake but I thought you were knowledgeable about CKD and studied Tanya's site, is that right?

Can you help Vicky figuring out the best food?

Thank you :)

3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Oh, the food issue will drive you insane :bighug:. I do check both but primarily to see if the carbs are close, then I look at calories.

The two lists are different so I have done a lot of research on my own. I do not know how to calculate the carbs from the guarantee analysis. Some websites will give you the carbs but I still am not sure if you go by the ME carbs, as-fed carbs or dry matter. A lot of it has been trial and error.

Soulistic gives great data
    https://soulisticpet.squarespace.com/nutritional-information-pate-and-shreds

As does Weruva
    http://www.weruva.com/catsitk-cans-nutrition.php

You want low carb, low phosphorus and enough calories to maintain, gain or lose weight.

This is the formula I go by for calories:
    The cat's weight times 13 and add 70. So a 11 lb cat X 13=143 +70=213 calories/day

I have a food tab on Gizmo's SS if you want to take a look.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. LizzieInTexas

Stay under 1.0 phos on Tanya's and ~200 on Dr. Lisa's.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  5. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

6. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I guess my attempt to quote and reply to, two different things failed. I guess I quoted myself and @LizzieInTexas. :oops:

7. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

Thank you to everyone who replied. LizzieinTexas sounds like we have similar situations and similar cats. I have a 15 yo male what I believe to be a Maine Coon mix as well by his traits. was diagnosed just shortly after your kitty (Jan 2017), is also on Lantus and has had issues with pancreatitis. I am definitely going to check out you spreadsheet. I AM driving myself insane with this food issue. part of the problem too is that I don't have a ton of time to spend researching this stuff, so then I tend to just keep on giving what I have been. the problem I can foresee coming though is that Rex is going to get tired of the current food he is liking. I know him. he loves it for a bit, then wants NOTHING to do with it! believe me - I have had stockpiles of a certain kind of food because that is all he will eat and then suddenly - NOT. been like that his whole life. silly guy. so I want to have something else waiting in the wings BEFORE I get myself in that situation... :rolleyes:

8. LizzieInTexas

With ckd watch the phos level. FF, in general, has higher phos. I also have a pantry full of food :D. I use mixtures at two different foods to try and keep carbs, calories and phos levels appropriate.

9. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

Lizzieintexas I just looked at your list. Some of the same foods I have looked at. I do notice some of the numbers are above 200. Is that ok to feed?

I still am quite stumped on all the different ways to calculate nutrition. DMB, TNA, as fed, etc. why are there so many ways, and how do they differ? And what do the numbers mean? Grams? Percentages? ??? So confusing. I can see why many people just go with the vet prescribed renal food.

Have you looked at the Whole Earth Farms duck or chicken? Rex really seems to like that esp the duck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.