Food for diabetes & kidney disease

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mislissa777, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

FOOD FOR DIABETES & CKD. Just wondering what some of you with kitty's that have both of these diseases are feeding. I'm trying to switch to a new food ever since Whole Earth Farms duck changed their recipe. I still have some WEF old recipe so I've been trying to incorporate a new food into her diet without having to increase her insulin. Over the past few months I've tried 5-6 different foods so far & all of them have caused her glucose to rise. I've tried numerous Weruva pates that have the same amount of carbs, 5%, as WEF. I'm now adding some Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein duck/turkey pate which is supposed to have less carbs & her glucose has went up. And with all of the new foods I've tried to add I have only mixed in a 1/4 to 1/2 a can of them & the glucose went up. I cannot figure out why. It's very frustrating & worrisome. I was hoping to not have to increase her insulin a lot because I'm concerned we'll have trouble regulating glucose. The only other changes I've made recently are adding salmon oil & increased Cosequin & I don't think either of those would increase glucose.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat is ckd. I'm feeding

Weruva slide and serve pate foods Family Food (.97 phosphorus and 0 carb). Also Jeopurrdy Chicken (0.97 P 6.1 carb)

Weruva Steak Frites (0.57 phosphorus 7.5 carb although I take out any big pieces of potatoes to try to limit the carbs just a bit)

And weruva Fowl Ball chicken and turkey (0.89 phosphorus 0 carb).

Just bought some LA isla Bonito but haven't tried it yet.

3. mislissa777

mislissa777 Member

Thank u very much! I tried the packet of Weruva tiptoe & after adding a small amount her glucose started to rise. I have no idea why these other low-carb foods are causing her glucose to rise, ugh. I’ve tried the Weruva bff too. I am glad you found foods that work well for your fur baby!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Any food, even zero carb, raise bg temporarily. Takes about two hours for the food numbers to wear off.

mislissa777 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.