Food intolerance question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen & Pearl, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Poor Pearl has runny poo. This is usually associated with food. If I feed her all wellness she get loose stool but I can usually feed her a bit of that along with FF no trouble. Saturday I fed her a can of mixed grill FF and last night she got the runny runs! It's the only different food I have fed her. Could it have taken that long to disturb her? I saw her do a firm poo just yesterday afternoon. By bedtime it was a different story. Any ideas? She has firmer poo today but is still miserable. She has always gotten this periodically though not for some time. It can even make her vomit. She eats a bunch, fast thinking it will make her feel better. If she were not diabetic, i'd withhold food for at least a night. Can't do that though. Suggestions? In the past a van of w/d has fixed her right up. I may even stop and get one. But I just wondered about that time lapse.

2. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

No ideas at all?

3. Nancy & Bee

Nancy & Bee Member

Hi Karen,

Bee is usually a Wellness kitty but she gets bored with it, so I try to incorporate different things to add some interest. She's done ok with some of the FF chicken & turkey flavors but the mixed grill sent her straight to the LB with liquipoo. I have no idea what ingredient it has that sets her off but this happened twice.

Bee reacted pretty quickly but ecid. Not sure if this helps you any, but you're not alone! :roll:

4. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I don't know what it is. I know she had at least one good poo and it is pretty liquidy again tonight. She's acting allright, but I know it can't be comfortable. She is has trouble keeping her back end clean, so I clean it for her, but she hates that. She has some matts between her legs that need to be cut but I just can't even get down there because she gets so upset. Somedays I feel like such a failure. I hate to take her in to the vet because honestly, what can they do or say. How many more meds can I give. Some days I am so tired and sad. I fail everyone and every thing.

5. Mel and Joe

Mel and Joe Member

I don't have any advice but we're experiencing the same thing with Fancy Feast. We've only been feeding it for a few days but it seems to be upsetting his stomach. Trying some different food today to see if that clears it up but only time will tell.

You're not a failure. You're trying and doing the best you can. The fact that you're here and posting tells me that you're doing many times more to help your kitty than the average pet parent. She's lucky to have you.

6. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

(((Karen))) I have no real advise. I haven't any experience with this except AB related with Bo.

Hopefully if this is a stupid or inappropriate question/suggestion someone will say so but have you tried yogurt or something like Forti Flora when she gets this?

7. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I have never tried flotiflora. We have an appointment tomorrow morning. I am nervous to fast her.

8. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I know, Karen, I hate to fast Moochie too. I'm always so worried about getting her to eat that I hate to refuse food :(.

I do hope that the vet can pin down what's causing this. I haven't used the forti flora either but others here have sworn by it for diarrhea issues when it's called for.

9. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Ugh had to change time. I'll now drop her off at 11:30 go to a work meeting and then go to her appt at 1:30. Not ideal but then they can do x-ray and bloodwork and I won't have to hear it :( think calming thoughts.

10. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

you have them, Karen! Take deep breaths and whisper to Pearl to do the same!

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

try a probiotic, like fortiflora or jarrow brand pet dolphilus (that's what I use) and purchased from vitacost.com.

that may help with the runs. just mix into the food and see if it helps.

12. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

You are NOT a bad pet parent! We all just get discouraged at times. Sorry I'm late to this, but could you (or did you) have the vet shave her back there? Get those mats out? Helps a ton, rather than cutting with scissors.. actually pretty dangerous to use scissors on a cat. Can cut them REALLY easily because their skin is so different.

I HATE food issues! If Cher gets into anything other than her wet (pate) Friskies, she gets diarrhea, and sometimes pukes. Poor thing.. I just give her some treats, and she pukes! So I try to give all kitties a pile of treats, but give her one after everyone gets their pile. She doesn't feel left out, but so far, 1 treat doesn't trigger anything!

The stray kitty I caught also explodes from both ends if I give him the shredded kind of Friskies! :shock: Gave him the pate kind, and he's ok. Whew! You just have to find what works for which kitty unfortunately. :YMSIGH:

13. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

She was already so stressed from nail clipping and xray stretching and blood drawing, I just thought, no, I'll keep figuring out more grooming techniques. I got a big FAIL at trying to get buprenex in. I was just reading on the old board and Dr. Lisa says just slip the tip in the lips. I'll try that next time. Man, I'm a case though. I"m afraid to give it if I am going to be asleep or gone! Afraid I'll miss some terrible reaction. :roll: But she's had pepcid and enzymes in her food. I still have to give her the metro. It's chicken flavored. I'm hoping beyond hope maybe she just "likes it". :)

14. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Here is an update.

15. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.