? Food list under 10% carbs, under 1% phosphorus (2016)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hello, I found this food list & love it. Question though .. are the Max Cats really under 10% carbs? I was surprised because they are in sauce. This is great if they are because I have 1 who is Diabetic & 1 who I am trying to be proactive with kidneys (nothing diagnosed yet as far as kidneys) but both are 15 & I want them both on low carb/low phosphorous. Thanks in advance for any input!!

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Reason for edit: Updating link
  2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I just get a blank page when I click on the link...

3. Nicole & Baby

4. Nicole & Baby

Link updated - should work now.

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok, Thanks!

About the Max Cat--in my experience, all carbs are not created equal when it comes to how it will effect BG. While this is especially true with the "low carb" dry foods, there are some canned foods that contain certain ingredients that I know to stay away from because they'll raise Bandit's BG. Potato starch can be one of these, depending on how much is actually in the food. But I would avoid the Max Cat mostly because of the Wheat Gluten. Wheat gluten is a huge source of allergy issues (including feline asthma) when fed regularly (the rare occasions when it's in food administered for hypos shouldn't cause problems).

I've fed other canned foods before that contain potato starch, but because it was such a low amount in the ingredients it was fine with Bandit's BG (specifically the Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.