Food question- Blue Buffalo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Glassgoblin, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

Jaxa has had a bit of a tummy issue lately, and our fortiflora is supposedly arriving today, but I remember that when the vet gave us some last year it was not a liked thing for my kitty, so I am trying to plan for alternatives. When I was shopping yesterday I saw Blue Buffalo has a Sensitive Stomach food, but it isn't on the food charts. Does anyone use this, know the carb %, etc? I didn't grab the numbers from the bag as I was in a hurry.

I'm hoping she is just stressed, as her blood work this month was all good, and we have had people at our house almost daily for estimates and construction work in the last month- but that is continuing for at least another month so I want to try to stop any digestive upset if we can.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I don't know about this food. Slippery elm bark is used by many members for a variety of gut issues. Have you tried it? Probiotics can also help.

How is Jaxa doing otherwise? Feeling OK?

3. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

She is playful, cuddly and is holding her own against the dog- they go between friendly play and snapping at each other several times each day. I had some slippery elm bark before but it is a fluid that had plantain and marshmallow so we had to stop using it when she was on insulin- the marshmallow supposedly can interfere with insulin. She hated it anyway though, so it was a chore to get it in her (the smell made it impossible to trick her). I ordered some powered SEB though so I might try mixing it with her night snack of wet food, if there isn't a strong flavor or odor. Right now she is already getting the B12 with her bisque and the fortiflora will take the place of her immune supplement on her dry food. The supplement has a lot of the stuff the probiotics do though so I don't expect a miracle, but we will try. I might get something else mentioned -S. Boulardii- as well.

It is funny; she has never been much for canned food but we tried a beef and chicken fancy feast and she ate most of it, so then we tried a beef fancy feast and she has been licking the bowl clean. I got two more cans, but we still have seafood flavors to get through from our cupboard too. I take away the dry food at night, as of last weekend, and have only been giving her 1/3 can of FF for the night. She is starting to expect and beg for it.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Deborah W.

Deborah W. New Member

I gave my cats Blue Buffalo a few years back and one of them developed an allergic reaction. Hot spot on her back similar to flea infestation, but it was caused by the food. Vet had to give her a steroid injection. It was the dry sensitive stomach version. I feed my kitties Fancy Feast Roasted Turkey or Chicken feast and they love it. It brought Rocky's bg way down so that he hasn't had a shot in 15 days. I tried the Ff pate Liver and Beef and both cats hate it. I just got some Dr. Elseys Clean Protein Chicken formula to try for Dry food and mixed it in the wet. Not sure why since Dr. Elsey's is way low in carbs, but since I started that Rocky's BG jumped.

5. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

I think I've ruled out Blue Buffalo for the moment; the Senitive Stomach was said to be 34% carb by someone on Chewy, so not good. Jaxa rejected the BB wet food completely- she even gagged after smelling it. We are continuing with the Young Again ZM, on restricted amounts- she always leaves some in the dish anyway, and she gets a spoon of Fancy Feast (she will only eat pate) every night. She loves the beef, the chicken and liver last night was okay but she only ate 3/4 of what I gave her. She is very picky about wet foods. We got the free samples of Dr. Elsey wet and dry- she rejected the wet completely, ate the dry when it was mixed with her YAZM. She had a month where she loved all seafood flavors, and then got sick (right before DX of diabetes) and won't touch the FF seafood flavors anymore. I am hoping she will get over that eventually since I have three flavors of fishy FF in the cupboard still. Lol, why can't FF have wild boar and mountain goat- she loves her Orijen treats with those flavors.

We have been using the YA Supplement and added fortiflora as of yesterday. Will see if that helps, but we have slippery elm bark powder on the way. I hope I can mix that into her wet food at night since she gets bisque and B12 every morning. Our tests since OTJ have continued being really good; about 30 minutes after treat time last night she was at 64mg/dl. She doens't know it but her favorite Orijen treats are in the mail since I haven't been able to get them locally in the last few months. She might be spoiled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.