? Food question?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tasha & Darwin, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

I'm trying to keep Darwin on just canned food, but I'm concerned about him getting enough calories. I was supplementing a calculated amount of YA Zero, but have stopped giving it, and am doing FF Classics only. I am just having trouble getting enough into him. He really should be eating 2.5-3 cans (calculated on his ideal weight, and given that he is roughly 3 lbs heavier than he ought to be), but I can only really get about 2 cans a day into him (split into 4-5 meals throughout the day and evening).

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a LC option that is a bit higher calorie, but also pate formula. I went and checked out several different cans (using Dr Pierson's list) at the store today, but found that many do not state whether they are pate or not - he is really only interested in pate.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Friskies Concoctions Salmon and Chicken liver pate (purple can) is almost double calories of a FF pate can and is low carb :)

StephG and Tasha & Darwin like this.
  3. Tasha & Darwin

Ah! Not sure why I didn't just think to grab some Friskies! I can, at least, supplement that to increase his calories a bit!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  4. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

@Yong, do you have other suggestions for Friskies if one does not want to feed fish? I'm worried about my oldest cat losing over 1 pound, but he's such a slow eater. He had hyperthyroidism so I avoid all fish on labels.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, @Tasha & Darwin! By the way, how are things? I see Darwin hasn't come down on this dose. :oops:

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

What else did you need besides low carb, Mandy?

6. Tasha & Darwin

I don't feed much fish either - not more than once to twice weekly. I actually found that they have a few other flavors with no fish that are higher calorie - and Darwin LOVED the Friskies. I also tried some IandLoveandYou, but he wouldn't touch it :confused:

No worries! Things are OK. Darwin is doing well, but no the numbers have not come down. I was hoping they would, and then he did get into some HC kibble :banghead:
    Also, the Lantus pen is just over the 28 days, so I worried that was the reason. I keep it in the fridge, and have seen people say it should last much longer, but I got a new one today anyway (my pet insurance reimburses me for it at 100% anyway).

7. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Tanner isn't diabetic, but I do need to feed them all the same thing as they like to sample each other's bowl like that got to be better than what I have. Keena and Precious are holding their weights. Rex could lose a couple pounds. Tanner is very bony.

8. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Yeah, the pens should be good for 6 months after you open them or else they last until the expiration date.
    It could be that the back to back reduction didn't work. That's too bad Darwin found the HC kibble. Have you thought about putting it in a room he doesn't have access to or putting it in a container he can't open?

9. Tasha & Darwin

I was wondering if it was the back to back reductions. I'll run a curve this weekend to see what his numbers are doing.

He doesn't actually have any access to the HC dry, but my GF puts a small bowl down for a few minutes for our civvie (normally under strict observation -when Darwin is in another room), and she turned her back for a few minutes; forgetting that Darwin will come in like a hawk for that stuff :arghh: Otherwise, we don't leave any dry out, and it's in a sealed container. Just a bummer though - and awful timing.

10. Mandy & Rex (GA)

That sounds just like what Rex would do if there's forbidden food around. It happens. :cat:

11. Yong & Maury GA

Ok so we're looking for low carb, maybe some higher calorie and no fish? Does it matter if they're pate or not? I try not to give my boy the fish flavour more than once a week but I had to get that flavour because there aren't many in the texture he likes :confused:. I have a list of low carb options that are non pate if you're interested. I don't know the calories off hand but I can check.

12. Mandy & Rex (GA)

If you could send that to me, that'd be great. Even if I just supplement Tanner's bowl, that should help him. His labs just came back and there's nothing concerning. Is HC a lot higher in calories? I still have 2 cans from when Rex was on insulin. I could put a spoonful right on top so he eats that first before cats play music bowls. :rolleyes:

13. Yong & Maury GA

Weruva
    Fowl Ball - 81 (3.2oz can) / 151 (6oz can) calories 4% carbs

Nature's Recipe Culinary favorites pate
    Chicken in gravy - 84 calories (2.75oz can) 11% carbs (technically MC)
    Culinary favourites slow roasted:
    Turkey and Garden Vegetables - 104 (5.5oz can) 8% carbs

Nature's Variety
    Instinct original Chicken, Beef, Lamb, Duck, or Venison - all over 200 calories and <9% carbs

Friskies
    Poultry Platter (pate)- 189 calories 4% carbs
    Beef with cheese (pate) 175 calories 9% carbs
    Turkey and Chicken w/cheese (pate) 177 calories 8% carbs
    Concoctions Salmon and Liver (pate) 182 calories 4% carbs

Fancy Feast
    Roasted / Chunky Chicken or Turkey - At least 80 calories per 3oz can and 4-6% carbs

Hope that's enough to get you started :). Half of these are on my list but the other non-pate ones are less calories :smuggrin:

14. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Thank you. How does Friskies Mixed Grill compare? I don't understand the numbers on the can. 425 kcal/13 oz can. How do I figure that?

15. Yong & Maury GA

16. Tasha & Darwin

I need to do some research and find some MC and HC pate too - not sure if anyone makes something like that. Darwin really won't touch the FF gravy and I cannot find a MC or HC canned that he'll eat when he goes low.

17. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Have you tried mixing in honey?

18. Tasha & Darwin

I've had to give Karo in the pate, and he'll eat that right up. But I was told that only stays in the system for 15-20 min; so I need to feed a MC food too...?

19. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Hmm, that's true. I wonder if Darwin doesn't like texture of those foods... Brainstorming here - I wonder if he would eat MC or HC if they are pureed to a pate texture?

20. Tasha & Darwin

Hmm...that's a GOOD idea! I could definitely try that!!

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  21. Tasha & Darwin

These are considered MC right? Wonder if I could try these out with Darwin when he's going a bit low...

22. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I checked the 17% carb food I had and they are lower calories than the LC food I'm feeding. :eek:

23. Yong & Maury GA

Tasha, Darwin likes pate, right? You could try some Friskies Indoor formula (green cans) that we usually tell people to stay away from for some HC food :). I consider 11-16% medium carb but I don't know if there's anything officially stating ;). I just know we always tell new members stick with low carb, which means <10% carbs :D.

Mandy, yes I was looking and there are many higher carb foods with less calories :confused:

24. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Hi. I need to correct you about the green cans that are pates. They are not HC. I contacted Friskies and was told that they were 5% carb.

25. Yong & Maury GA

Interesting because Dr. Pierson's food chart definitely says 4/6 flavours are high carb -25% / 27%. There are 2 with no information. :bookworm:

26. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Actually, I think that mixing honey into his LC food gives a longer lasting boost. The food slows its absorption. Honey alone will only last a short time.

27. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I'm talking about the ones with no numbers then. The pates are similar to the regular cans. The other green cans with gravy or cheese are higher in carbs. I'm sorry about the confusion.

28. Yong & Maury GA

Ah ok, that's good to know though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.