Food questions for diabetic cat and crf cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sharon and sparky, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

Hi all,
    My cat Sparky is in remission for diabetes. He eats the low carb Fancy Feast varieties along with my other cats. Now my civvie is in early crf. It is not recommended that she eat Fancy Feast. MY question is there a canned food that would satisfy both low carb and low phosphorus? I am in a dilemma because the crf food is generally higher in carbs and I work and cannot leave food out that my sugar kitty may eat and vice a versa with the high phosphorous FF.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If the phosphorous blood levels indicate that the phosphorous should be controlled/reduced then reducing the phosphorus intake should take priority over low carbs. You can always give insulin if necessary. An alternative is to feed regular low-carb FF but add a phosphorous binder to reduce the bodies absorption of phosphorous.

3. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

You can look on the Janet and Binky food lists and look for varieties that are lower carb, and are also under 250 in the phosphorus column.

4. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

with my late Kitty we fed a few of the Friskies Special Diet flavors as they were both lower phosphorous and low carbohydrates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.