Food recommendation?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bgenick, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgenick

bgenick Member

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes with BG around 350. He was ketoacidotic and had lost 4 lbs. He was put on 1/2 unit prozinc insulin and well regulated. Later, an antibiotic that he was taking caused him to lose his appetite. I had to discontinue insulin for a couple of days until he resumed eating. At that point, his BG was back in the normal range. The vet said there was no need to resume insulin, although she cannot explain why this happened.

Since then, he has regained his weight and regular checkups indicate his BG remains in the 120-130 range. He will continue to have regular checkups.

Meanwhile, I understand that he needs a canned low-carb food. I would prefer a commercial food rather than prescription if possible. He is currently eating Fancy Feast turkey and giblets.

Anyone have recommendations for other, or more suitable, foods?

Thanks.

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Many of us feed our cats Fancy Feast or Friskies. The pate flavors are lower in carbs than anything with gravy, such as filets, shredded or bits.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

4. bgenick

bgenick Member

5. bgenick

bgenick Member

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.