? Food spikes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by StormysMom, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormysMom

StormysMom Member

can someone explain what a food spike looks like? Is there a certain range that they fall within (like an increase of 10, 20, 50)?

2. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I know with Smoky who is carb sensitive that higher carb foods tend to cause his BG to jump anywhere from 50 to 150 points. This is all within about 30 to 45 minutes after eating. In my experience with him a food spike is any food that raises his blood sugar too quickly. I think that is why we treat too low of a BG with higher carb foods, Smoky's is FF gravy lovers. Is Stormy carb sensitive? I hope this helps you out.:)

3. StormysMom

StormysMom Member

We're just starting out so I'm not quite sure but I do suspect that high carb foods cause her to spike. She's dropped dramaticly just through diet change. She went from dry food to low carb wet food and had huge drops in her numbers. I'm more curious about the home testing at +1 and how much eating a low carb meal will raise levels. Guess this ones falls into every cat is different!

4. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Maybe Stormy will be one of those kitties that can have her diabetes controlled by diet alone or low doses of insulin. It is early days for the both of you so time will tell.:bighug:

StormysMom likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If your kitty is prone to food spikes even with low carb food they can show as an increase in BG around +2 or so before the insulin starts lowering the BG.

StormysMom and Lisa and Smoky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.