? Food Spikes??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jeff D / Sketch, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

Hey all. The last few weeks I have been supplementing Sketchs FF diet with some Friskies Classic pates for variety..(listed on 2017 food list) Have any of you experienced a diff in behavior after feeding the Friskies Classic pate's? I checked his BG 5 1/2 hrs thru his lantis cycle today and he was 322. 5 3/4 hours later I gave him his shot (1.5 units) and fed him. He ate Friskies salmon pate mixed with some FF savory salmon. A couple hours later he seemed a bit lethargic and very thirsty. So out of curiosity I tested him a couple hrs after shot and meal to make sure he hasn't crashed...he was 559 which I guess would be somewhat expected after a big meal and the fact the lantis hasn't kicked in at nadir. The increased thirst seems to occur when I feed the Friskies and not so much with FF. Is this a food spike due to the diff food?? It happened one other time I noticed and I was able to test in about the same time frame after shot and meal and he was 445. So he doesn't appear to be crashing from dosage. Any ideas out there from you more experienced folks???

2. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Chuck almost always spikes from food. It hasn't been as big of a spike since switching to Lantus. A quick peek at his SS and you'll see his spikes. Don't get scared from my SS though. He's a high dose cat and bouncy.
    I have noticed that the FF pates don't make his numbers jump as quick or as high as friskies or 9Lives.
    Is it possible he's getting any kind of upset stomach from the addition of friskies? That could be a reason why he seems to spike so much. Another reason could be he just needs a higher dose. Do you have a spreadsheet? Are you following one of the protocols here for lanuts, Tight Regulation (TR) or Start Low Go Slow (SLGS).
    The lantus folks might be able to help you out in figuring out if it's a dose issue. They might need more information from you though.
    I'm only about 6 weeks into our Lantus journey so I don't feel comfortable suggesting any dose increase. I'll leave that to the Lantus Pros!

3. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

StephG thanks for your info. I to am relatively new to this whole thing. The vet has Sketch on (SLGS) method at this point because he is a bit of a difficult cat regarding home testing although he is improving and totally stresses out at the vet. I haven't posted a spread sheet yet although I've been keeping one of my own. He is an indoor /outdoor cat that is a bit difficult so its been difficult to test let alone getting an accurate curve going but we are working on it. He started on 1 unit once a day and we are up to 1.5 units twice a day. We are doing a fructosamine test currently (results due tomorrow or Fri) to hopefully get a clearer picture.
    I don't think there is any stomach upset issues and seems to love the Friskies with no negative stomach issues displayed (vomiting or diarrhea)
    I guess I was more concerned by the increased thirst and somewhat lethargic behavior he was displaying. In fairness I fumbled the test a bit and may have driven the BG #'s up a bit but I was more concerned that he was low due to his behavior which is why I tested him. The interesting thing is if I check older food list the Friskies pate's show somewhat higher carb % in the 9 to 10% range vs the 2017 list that shows them in the 3 to 6 % range so I'm wondering if maybe they really are still higher than the list indicates. I don't think he is in any immediate danger but think I will go back to the Fancy Feast for a bit and see what happens.
    Thanks for your input!

4. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

The increase in thirst and lethargy could be from the higher numbers. Chuck lays around a lot in general but the way he lays around when he has higher numbers is different. His thirst and hunger increases too.
    Hard to tell if a cat is eating and what he is eating when they spend time outside. I can see the problems being an indoor/outdoor cat can cause for testing... Sometimes I have to search the house for Chuck! haha.
    Sounds like you're getting a good handle on things and hopefully he'll decide to cooperate with testing soon!
    Chuck has been on insulin for 8 months but started on ProZinc. He's use to the dance by now but still likes to remind me who's boss.

Jeff D / Sketch likes this.
  5. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

By the way...love the "Chuck Norris aka Satan" lol.
    Sketchs eating is pretty much at home as near as I can figure and he typically has a good appetite (was ravenous for about 2 weeks) before diagnosis and treatment. He hunts and kills but usually just brings the bodies to me and usually no indication he feeds on them.
    For being as unruly as he was when I first inherited him from a neighbor about 6 or 7 years ago he is doing well. He was feral like and an outdoor cat only when I got him. Couldn't touch him. Now I am still the only one that can pick him up or pet him. I pretty much keep him in at night and in the winter he spends a lot of time sleeping on the couch (being 17 or 18). He's been great about the shots...just tough regarding testing but part of that has been my fumbling...but we are both getting better...getting more used to "the dance" as you put it. Thanks again for your input.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Aww he just brings you lots of presents to say "Thank you" for being my cat daddy! :cat:

StephG and Jeff D / Sketch like this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My cat that I had as a child did the same thing. She used to follow us when we took our dog for a walk and the birds would often torment herby pecking at her so sometimes I think it was self defense, lol.

Some cats get more of a food spike than others. Mine did. Until his numbers improved he drank a lot. That's what made me check his urine for glucose. It was either diabetes or CKD and diabetes it was.

Jeff D / Sketch and StephG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.