food suggestions - complicated cat!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pandasmom, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any food suggestions for me. I'm really running out of ideas here. We've tried over 50 - including canned, dry, raw, home-cooked. Odie is very picky, combined with his health issues, I'm at a loss.

1. he's diabetic
    2. he has IBD and had pancreatitis

His vet wants him on a "novel protein source" -- which is nearly impossible, but I'm at least trying to stay away from chicken.

He'll eat something, but then if he starts feeling sick,t hen he decides he no longer wants it. I've gone through 6 types just this weekend... including some that he previously liked but will not touch anymore.

He's currently wiling to eat Fromm Salmon a la Veg kibble. I *was* giving him a bit of that to graze on during the day + canned Fromm Salmon/Tuna at meal time. But now he's refusing that. The problem with giving him only the dry stuff is that it's relatively high carb, so makes his insulin numbers go up.

I've now gotten samples of Fromm Surf & Turf which is grain-free and lower carb. He's nibbled on it... so that may be a dry food option for now.

Does anyone else have a cat with these health issues? What do you feed them? It's like there's no way I can meet all of the conflicting requirements (low-carb, low-fat, no chicken, something he'll eat...) at once.

Suggestions please?

(btw - I've gotten the actual Fromm nutritional numbers from the company, I can send them to someone if they want to add them to that big list of foods)

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Why no chicken? usually poultry is a good option for IBD, pancreatitis etc.

I have three cats with various issues so here is what I try to feed to deal with it all.

I pretty much stay with poultry and use EVO 95% - chicken & turkey, Friskies Special Diet - turkey & giblets, beef & chicken, Nature's Variety Raw - Rabbit (since chicken is on recall) and home made raw food - that I learned how to make with friends.

Dr. Lisa has a recipe for making your own raw food, her website is www.catinfo.org.

3. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

She wanted him on a "novel" protein source... so nothing that he'd had before.
    At this point this is nearly impossible - off the top of my head, he's had chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon, beef, lamb, goat...
    He refused rabbit, quail, crab, trout...

I've tried giving him raw, he wouldn't touch it.

Tonight he agreed to have some Fromm Surf & Turf kibble, and some Before Grain 96% Beef (they make a nutritionally balanced version now). Who knows how long this will last, I kind of need some backups on hand for when he decides he hates them.
    (I feel like a cat restaurant)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.