Food then test?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bunny0210, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

Yikes, so much info. Do I feed the cat and then take her BG so that it is high? and then give insulin? or test on a fast and then feed and give insulin at same time? What is the threshold number that I don't inject?

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

No, test, feed, shoot
    Always test before feeding, food will effect it

3. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

It gets easier as you develop a pattern. I find that writing down everything helps too; take up food two hours prior to testing, write down the time and then at test time I write down the time and her number before putting it in the spreadsheet, feed and give the shot while she is eating still. It took us a couple weeks to get a really good pattern but now she is hungry at test time and will start eating immediately after I put the food down.

Bellasmom likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Even after two years of treating my cat I keep a paper notebook with all these important times and the data that goes with them: AM BG test and result, time meal was fed, time dose was given and size of dose, etc.

Glassgoblin and Bellasmom like this.
  5. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

Thanks, did it....second day and a little unsure I'll remember your simple wording,
    Thank you - good habit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.